• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

looking for some braid ,

j willson

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
tried Chinese braid and it looks like i a master at knot tying with it:rolleyes: so i think i am looking for something better 20 lb braid , what's a ok braid ?or do i try mono :censored:

Never liked Braid and swore, after endless wind knots on a beach casting F/S reel I wouldn't use it again, but put some of the same Braid on a Shimano 3000 spinning reel I bought from John Mitchell, and it worked a treat. I asked John the same question recently, and he recommended Berkley Whiplash 20Lb.

tried Chinese braid and it looks like i a master at knot tying with it:rolleyes: so i think i am looking for something better 20 lb braid , what's a ok braid ?or do i try mono :censored:
Could well be the reel or the way you ha\/e loaded the line that is your problem not the chinese braid. If the line is properly loaded on a suitable reel you should ha\/e no problems, if either is wrong getting the best braid in the world will make no difference. Is it a bait or lure fishing set up ?

What reel and rod outfit are you using?

Which lures too?

Can you post a picture of the reel loaded please?

Should be an easy one to work out for you without spending money on new braid if there’s an obvious issue.

Cheers

The braid looks too heavy duty and rope like to me and there’s a bit too much on the reel for my liking. I’d look into buying around the 20lb and 8 strand.

My initial thought was the lures were too light for the rod/reel combo, but now you’ve shown the pictures, that isn’t the case.

I use Chinese braid on some reels, but when you factor in the price of lost time and aggravation due to wind knots, then it’s worth investing in a quality braid. Just use it for a season, then turn it round and use it for the following season (depending on amount of use)

The only braid I use is for backing on my reels - wide arbour fly, spinning etc.

Just looked at your reel piccy,I agree with Where's Wally,the only braid I use is Berkley Whiplash on my spinning reels ,

I think the line lay on your reel is likely to be causing you the issue and is likely to do it with whatever braid is loaded on it.
Yes your absolutely correct, looks as though it has been fed onto the spool using the drill method, I can’t see how a fixed spool reel would do that.

I've been using monster w8 this year without issue. In my experience wind knots show up if you put too much braid on the spool or when using lighter lures without giving the braid a pull against the drag after casting.

ok so i have another reel and see what the line lay like on that . braid is .2 = 20 lb next thing to sort if other reel will not help , casting weights this is interesting as some times i see the lures flopping around at end of cast . so it may be a bit of the way i cast the lures , thanks for the input .

Nanofil on most of my reels for lure fishing and clean to med ground baitfishing. Hecules or saratoga on my rough ground reels. Mono on my seatrout/mullet reels

I use to use j braid and power Pro until I
Found braid from Ali express half the price and not had 1 wind knot in 6yrs
It's so cheap at the end of the bass season I just bin what's on the spool

Back