• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Looky Likey Lures

eastcoastgreg

Reaction score
I think I'd have a seizure if I spent £20 on a lure, never mind the state I'd be in if I lost one that cost that much. So lets have a look at those copies that work. To start things off, here's a good looking IMA iborn 118 copy. Not been able to cast them yet but the finish is good and the internal weight slides fine and breaks from the magnet holding it with a flick.

Attachments

• 20210208_195707.jpg
    20210208_195707.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 20
I think I'd have a seizure if I spent £20 on a lure, never mind the state I'd be in if I lost one that cost that much. So lets have a look at those copies that work. To start things off, here's a good looking IMA iborn 118 copy. Not been able to cast them yet but the finish is good and the internal weight slides fine and breaks from the magnet holding it with a flick.
What price are the copies?

Don't know if you guys are familiar with this eBay seller www.ebay.ie/itm/Payo-Seashot-Minnow-fishing-lure-Pike-Seabass-Striped-Bass/303127477888?hash=item4693ce3e80:g:Fr4AAOSwYIxX9MHR
Of course now that the UK is EX EU it probably is better going to Ali express now. I could be better in as much as there would be no VAT to worry about but to be honest his selection is not as good as Ali Express and his postal charges add to cost. Now that AliE add VAT for UK buyers it is a no-brainer for you guys to buy there the selection is much better and often postage is free.

Don't know if you guys are familiar with this eBay seller www.ebay.ie/itm/Payo-Seashot-Minnow-fishing-lure-Pike-Seabass-Striped-Bass/303127477888?hash=item4693ce3e80:g:Fr4AAOSwYIxX9MHR
Of course now that the UK is EX EU it probably is better going to Ali express now. I could be better in as much as there would be no VAT to worry about but to be honest his selection is not as good as Ali Express and his postal charges add to cost. Now that AliE add VAT for UK buyers it is a no-brainer for you guys to buy there the selection is much better and often postage is free.
Ebay should be adding vat as well now but you're right, the choice on aliexpress is better. That one looks like a kingdom lure. The only downside is the delivery time, I ordered those in my post the first week of Jan. Predilures curates a good selection if you're in a hurry.

With the lack of fishing, let's hope the trawlers haven't ravaged all the fish and there is some left for us.

Ali E below are a selection of three I bought the other month. Patchincko 125 copy, Manic copy and a needle fish copy for less that £11 the three including delivery. The colour in the photograph is not as good as seen in normal daylight .
DSCN4144.JPG

I agree. Most of mine come from Predilures.
The fact that most come without a box dosnt bother me....
Some lookalikes work very well - I have a Kingdom Asturie copy which I prefer to the real thing - but others don't and are a waste of money.
I've given up buying copies because I'm uneasy about the principle of allowing someone else to do all the expensive research, development, testing and marketing of a product and then when it is successful pinching the design, having it made by low-paid workers and then undercutting the company which designed it. I know this happens all the time with China but it's wrong and I don't want to support it any more. I'd rather have a few original high-quality lures than loads of cheapies. PH

Some lookalikes work very well - I have a Kingdom Asturie copy which I prefer to the real thing - but others don't and are a waste of money.
I've given up buying copies because I'm uneasy about the principle of allowing someone else to do all the expensive research, development, testing and marketing of a product and then when it is successful pinching the design, having it made by low-paid workers and then undercutting the company which designed it. I know this happens all the time with China but it's wrong and I don't want to support it any more. I'd rather have a few original high-quality lures than loads of cheapies. PH
Tbh I’m not expert enough to know which are copies and which are not and don’t purposely buy knock offs to save money. My knowledge of lures is not huge, I just buy those which in my mind, looking at them could well catch me fish. Possibly some of Predilures stuff will be copies but then again he also sells Noeby lures which are Chinese but original to themselves. I have gone down the route of buying the £20+ ‘must have’ lures and honestly have yet to catch a Bass on any of them.

Its a topic that's had a lot of forum column inches devoted to it.
We'll never know what it costs to develop a new lure, I guess the capital costs are the lions share initially, overtaken by marketing costs once the product is established.
Most of the manufacturing is outsourced to china now at very low cost.
Original lures usually come in a wider range of colours than the copies so may be worth it on that basis or perhaps they are priced to reflect what the market can stand?

Its also possible to find aliexpress copies rebadged from a number of different sellers at 2/3/4 times the direct cost..

Buying direct gives a price advantage if you are prepared to compromise on delivery lead time and colour variety, and assuming you know which sellers to trust.

Predilures on eBay are good

I can guarantee these are just Chinese knock off lures. The Asturie copy is identical to the ones I am buying on Ali E only more than twice the price !

Last edited:
Back