• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Lucky 14th.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After missing out on three fish on Tuesday, there was only one thing to do for my second session this week and so last night I headed back to the same mark again, hoping to make amends. After an early dart, I arrived at the venue to find less than ideal conditions, with a fresh breeze blowing right along the shore. As well as this, the water close in was the colour of soup :cry:, but I hoped that it would be clearer further out with the increased depth. If the forecast was to be believed, then the wind would ease later and swing offshore as it had done on Tuesday, which combined with the flooding tide should lead to an improvement in water clarity ?.

Undeterred, I waded out into the murk and sure enough the water clarity was a bit better by the time I was 5 meters or so away from the shore. It still wasn’t ideal, but I could at least see a Lemon Meringue Mishna through 2 and a half feet of water. As you have probably guessed from my first choice of lure, my tactic was to use highly visible offerings until things hopefully cleared up later and over the next hour, as well as the Mishna I also gave water time to the yellow and Nacre Patchinkos, the white Ruf Manic and the SF125 in Plasma Candy.

Going by my experience so far this year, I wasn’t expecting much action in daylight but there’s always an exception to the rule and surprisingly, 30 minutes before low water it was the mighty SF125 which drew the first response. I was just going through the motions and counting the time down until the sun set, when my SF125 was hit as a passing bass found it impossible to resist ?. A short scrap later and the blank was beaten, when I landed a plump little 40cm bar of silver ?.
Bass-32_2022.jpg

After the misfortunes of my last session, I was chuffed to bits to catch so soon, and the fact that it was in daylight was even more encouraging for the evening ahead ?.

I fished on expectantly now, but that bass must have been a loner and I didn’t see any more signs of life for a while. It wasn’t all bad though and by an hour after low water, in a complete contrast to when I first arrived, the wind was dropping rapidly, and the water was now gin clear ?. I was also treated to a magnificent sunset ? before the light finally began to fade, and I hoped that it was only a matter of time before things kicked off on the fishing front ?.

Sure enough, my hopes were eventually realised and 2 hours after the first fish, I was in again when my Ruf Manic was hit at maximum range. After a short but spirited fight, bass number 2 of the evening was soon beaten, smaller this time at 35cm but still a very welcome sight ?.
Bass-33_2022.jpg

After Tuesday’s struggles, I was delighted with a second fish, but this was just the start of things, and over the next 90 minutes the bass, interspersed with small pollack of around 15-20cm, just kept coming at regular intervals.

As well as a few missed hits I also added a steady stream of fish to my tally, the next bass came in at 47cm
Bass-34_2022.jpg

then 44cm
Bass-35_2022.jpg

followed by a 48cm
Bass-36_2022.jpg

a 37cm
Bass-37_2022.jpg

and then a 44cm
Bass-38_2022.jpg

All of which fell to the Ruf Manic, and then when bites eventually tailed off, a switch to the Komomo II soon resulted in another take ?.
Bass-39_2022.jpg

This last fish signalled a slight lull in the feeding, and over the next 50 minutes, though the bass could still be heard splashing out in the darkness, they were strangely reluctant to take my lures ?. I kept trying though and eventually my perseverance paid off when I started to catch again. They weren’t feeding quite as voraciously as earlier, but over the next 35 minutes I added 3 more bass to my total, starting off with the best fish of the evening so far at 52cm ?.
Bass-40_2022.jpg

which was followed by 2 more, the first at 47cm
Bass-41_2022.jpg

and finally, the smallest fish of the night at just 34cm, which the forum won't let me post as I've reached the limit for 1 post ?.

Sadly, the bass went of the feed completely now and with the tide pushing hard again, I decided to call it a night before possibly being cut off again by the tide ?.

So my attempt to make up for Tuesday had been a resounding success, with 11 Bass to around the 3.5lb mark and 6 greedy little pollack, so you could definitely call it lucky 14th ??.

And just so he doesn't feel left out, the last and smallest bass of the night ?.
Bass-42_2022.jpg

Last edited:
The aftermath of a good session :LOL:.
Aftermath.jpg

That's a brilliant session and wow you need some stronger hooks pal haha

That's a brilliant session and wow you need some stronger hooks pal haha

Those were replacement hooks :ROFLMAO:.

The hooks supplied with the Ruf Manic are notoriously weak, so I replace them with Owner Y-S81s & Y-S21s. Anything heavier than that can upset the lures action.

Back