• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lugworm storage

ouchthathurt

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I’ve been wondering, how long do lugworm last after pumping them? I separate the whole and broken worms as I’m collecting them, and keep the broken ones gutted and wrapped in paper if the session is later that day, or I feed them to the gulls if I’m not fishing for a day or two! My wife, although very tolerant of my fishing excesses (the freezer is full of frozen home made boilies), will probably not tolerate rolls of lugworm in the salad draw of the fridge, I don’t have the room or funds for a second fridge! I could freeze the blacks down, but how to store them fresh if I’m not hitting the beach for a day or three? They won’t last long just slung in a covered bucket of seawater in the garden will they?
any thoughts?

i can keep pumped blacks ok for 10-15 days strip worms as normal wrap in paper( tight = then cling film tight fridge 15 days )cold garage floor 5- 8 days black lug

Last edited:
I've kept lug worm for months at a time in the winter from October to March they were like little pets. When using lug as bait and I've got some left I used to chuck it back in the water not knowing when I was fishing again. Then I got myself a bucket and a fish tank aerator and a few empty 1.5 litre bottles of sea water. I changed the water everyday only about 2 inches deep in the bucket with the worms in. I also kept the water next to the bucket in the bottles so it was the same temperature as in the bucket and not to shock the worms. I collected a bottle of sea water on every session I went fishing or if the tides and weather was wrong for fishing every time I got down to one bottle. IMG_20210206_150043.jpgi also keep yellow tails and rag worm the same way. But with rag worm I leave them in the slime ball they make as removing it they weaken making more slime. I've kept rag from August till April this way without a fridge in my cabin.

She’s as good as gold really, puts up with kilos of boilies taking up the freezer, wanders along the beach with me to pump some lug, found a “mystery bag” in the freezer, opened it, found a load of peeler crab... didn’t bat an eyelid! The cupboard under the stairs, the shed, the side of the lounge, all filling up with fishing gear, no problem!

Guess I just trained my one properly.
She fishes, pumps lug, buys tackle, goes on fishing holidays to Norway.....
Only trouble is, she's started lure fishing ?
Could be worse, she could have taken up lrf!!!

Guess I just trained my one properly.
She fishes, pumps lug, buys tackle, goes on fishing holidays to Norway.....
Only trouble is, she's started lure fishing ?
Could be worse, she could have taken up lrf!!!
LRF could be reasonable grounds for divorce? ?

Back