• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lure clips

Minstrelblue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've managed to equip my bag now with 6 genuine and very expensive lures but wondering about your experiences with the vital bit that links them to the mainline. I can get hundreds of them on AliExpress but concerned about quality and strengths so I would like some recommendations as to some reliable clips and who or where to look for them.
Thanks
MB

Good thread Minstrel! I bought some black clips with an integral swivel from eBay thinking it would be a good idea. I think they were coarse fishing ones, and they were a lot smaller than I expected when they arrived, and I can't seem to find any larger ones.
1615888645762.png

I also bought some Mini Atom links from Veals store on eBay. They are top quality and have a breaking strain of 100Lbs, as opposed to the Breakaway mini links which, if I recall correctly are only around 25Lb. Handy to use with heavier metal lures.

Last edited:
Here's one,do the easiness and speed of lure clips make some people change lure more than needed. Mate of mine literally has two casts then changes lures, if he had to tie a knot every time he might not bugger about so much lol

Here's one,do the easiness and speed of lure clips make some people change lure more than needed. Mate of mine literally has two casts then changes lures, if he had to tie a knot every time he might not bugger about so much lol
Theres a good article on active angling nz about the impact of swapping lures too often on catch rate.. the more you swap em the fewer fish you catch...

And breakaway mini links are all you need.

hi trampster be careful with the top picture you posted they are designed to have a tapered anti tangle sleeve over the open end clip bit to stop hooklenght coming off
Thanks for that - not seen that with the ones I bought, which as I said, I think were for coarse fishing. I was going to clip them directly onto a lure, but considered them a bit too small & weak anyway.

I've had no problem with clips of ali
easily handled my biggest fish
A 10ib bonito in lanzarote

Breakaway mini lure clip for me ! Has landed bass to 12lb and easy to clip even with my fat fingers. I think the veals ones used by a friend are really good too. Avoid swivels and don’t use them at all on well balanced soft plastics

Good thread Minstrel! I bought some black clips with an integral swivel from eBay thinking it would be a good idea. I think they were coarse fishing ones, and they were a lot smaller than I expected when they arrived, and I can't seem to find any larger ones.
View attachment 7197
Yeah those swivel clips are quick change (QC) swivels used in carp fishing pal. I use them all the time to be able to change hooklinks. You tie up your chosen carp hooklink, thread on a silicon sleeve or anti tangle sleeve then tie a loop in the end. Then you can clip the loop to the QC swivel and slide the silicon sleeve or anti tangle sleeve over the crook on the swivel to keep the hooklink on. For a recast, slide off the sleeve, unhook hooklink, clip on new one replace sleeve and recast. Most carp ones are in the size 11-9 range.

they can be used for constructing spinner rigs... but that’s carp fishing!

Yeah those swivel clips are quick change (QC) swivels used in carp fishing pal. I use them all the time to be able to change hooklinks. You tie up your chosen carp hooklink, thread on a silicon sleeve or anti tangle sleeve then tie a loop in the end. Then you can clip the loop to the QC swivel and slide the silicon sleeve or anti tangle sleeve over the crook on the swivel to keep the hooklink on. For a recast, slide off the sleeve, unhook hooklink, clip on new one replace sleeve and recast. Most carp ones are in the size 11-9 range.

they can be used for constructing spinner rigs... but that’s carp fishing!
Yeah I saw somebody using them for lures on Youtube, but the ones he had were a bit bigger. Couldn't find any suitable for sea dangling!

I've managed to equip my bag now with 6 genuine and very expensive lures but wondering about your experiences with the vital bit that links them to the mainline. I can get hundreds of them on AliExpress but concerned about quality and strengths so I would like some recommendations as to some reliable clips and who or where to look for them.
Thanks
MB
Hello mate,
These links do the business for me. They are strong and tiny enough to pass through the smallest rod-eye. As they are so small, they have no effect on the swimming motion of your lure. Sometimes I add a tiny swivel too... depending on lure as some do spin a bit. As for changing lures, if I'm not catching, then I'll go through 3 or 4. Choice normally depends on wind strength and depth of tide, sandy or foul floor and the level of drop.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210627-132745.png
    Screenshot_20210627-132745.png
    208.2 KB · Views: 19
Back