• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lure fishing / spinning what is the difference?

For my birthday I got a rapala x-rap
14 cm 43 gram lure in wahoo colours..
I definitely need a spinning rod for that sized lure and the only place I could think it might be useful is at a deep water venue like chesil and wobble it through mackerel Shoals to see if a big bass would attack it.
It's a bit on the large side for a lure rod I think
There's plenty of heavy lure rods about, Apia, Jumprize, mega bucks though.. so you dont need to slum it with a spinner..

For my birthday I got a rapala x-rap
14 cm 43 gram lure in wahoo colours..
I definitely need a spinning rod for that sized lure and the only place I could think it might be useful is at a deep water venue like chesil and wobble it through mackerel Shoals to see if a big bass would attack it.
It's a bit on the large side for a lure rod I think
Depends on what the rating of your rod is now. My Dialuna called a lure rod is rated 10-56 grms so would happily throw 43 grms. but I like it at around the 30-35 grm mark. No idea if that x-rap is a sinker or a floater, shallow or deep diver and that basically defines what depth of water you use it in. No point in throwing a deep diver into 2 feet of water is there.
Over in the US they rate their rods as either casting, multiplier, or spinning, fixed spool no mention of lure rods last time I was there. Rods for striper fishing from the shore come in both flavours but are usually designed for throwing big plugs or bucktails a long way. Think something like a Zippy Bass Light, talking potentially big fish in deep water, strong currents, snags and big surf. Lighter tackle is used from boats and off the beach in the right conditions. A lot of our European flavour lure rods would be perfect for some of their conditions but as always you have to use enough gun or you end up with fish playing you.

The only thing that sets salmon fishing above pike or zander fishing is the cost of doing it. There is very little skill involved lobbing out a salmon fly

The only thing that sets salmon fishing above pike or zander fishing is the cost of doing it. There is very little skill involved lobbing out a salmon fly
Ever tried Spey-casting a double-handed salmon fly rod while deep-wading in fast water? There's a bit more to it than 'lobbing out a salmon fly'. A bit of inverted snobbery in your comment I think! PH

St
Ever tried Spey-casting a double-handed salmon fly rod while deep-wading in fast water? There's a bit more to it than 'lobbing out a salmon fly'. A bit of inverted snobbery in your comment I think! PH
Stupid people will do stupid things.

makes me laugh when lure only fisherman moan that the waters coloured ,waters too cold , no baitfish here , bait fishings easy etc etc
spend most the year moaning and never adapt to conditions or other species lol

waiting for a couple tides a summer when conditions are suitable and then moan that the bass are always small coz of netters ,even though doubles being caught all round them on bait that won't chase a little plastic thing about lol

tarts just wana carry the lightest possible rod and stay clean ?

joking but that's the back and forth banter between me and my lure only pals who stuck on small pbs for years

oh then say I cradled the bass in the shallows untill it swam away strongly ...can't forget the catch and release elitism either ?

oh then say I cradled the bass in the shallows untill it swam away strongly ...can't forget the catch and release elitism either ?
I prefer " I chucked the feker in the bottom of the boat,smoked a ciggy them remembered I best knock the fish on the head"

Back