• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lure prices

Clagger

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Where do the lads on here find the cheapest for buying lures and jig heads also do you think it's worth buying the moulds to make these

Welcome Clagger! I don't do a lot of Lure fishing, but have got a small collection of Metals and topwater lures, Mainly Savage Gear. No doubt some of the lads will be along with better info than I can offer.

I use mostly weedless rigged SPs tbh. Check out AMG Discounts and keep an eye on the classifieds on the various forums

I use mainly savage gear,I use my local tackle shop for jig heads,or Glasgow angling,I don't think it's worth buying jig head moulds unless you are losing a lot of them.

i new to lures as well , some cheep one seem to work , but i pay around 20 £ for one now got 5 good ones and some savage ones 7£ from a proper shop they seem to work so much better , then i got some glitter one thats caught my eye .

Never pay £20 plus for a lure you will cry when you lose it been done it

J Wilson
How many times Ave I heard
I had to buy it cos it caught my eye

You don't need expensive lures just savage gear sandeels
Or any soft plastic with a decent paddle tail
Fish them weedless or behind a bombada float
As for colors white pink yellow sock well for me
Maybe different to the area you fish

SPs are cheap and do work well, but not always! Also I get bored pretty quickly with them, particularly if working them slowly or dead drifting with the current - often successful methods. Nothing compares to the visual excitement of the topwater 'walk -the-dog' stuff for me (hence the moniker). I haven't yet found the need to spend over £15 on a lure but I have borrowed some of the very expensive ones just to see how they work and to make direct comparisons to similar but cheaper models as well as copies/clones. Not all of the cheaper lures work as they should and you can easily end up wasting a lot of money finding good ones. Even then they often need tuning to run properly - see the Rapala info on tuning lures if you haven't already, and experiment! It really can make a massive difference as can weighting/changing hooks or adding ballast like lead foil to the body of the lure.
There are a few lures in the up to £15 bracket like the Duo Realis Pencil and YoZuri Jointed Crystal Minnow that I go out of my way to buy because they have repeatedly proved to work so damned well straight out of the box. Equally there are cheaper metal lures like the Seeker that have also earned a place in my armoury as a long casting fish catcher. It's certainly not all about hard plastics, more about having the correct tools for specific jobs for me. SPs are part of that. All good lures are certainly cost effective, and whilst I dare say I could do pretty well just using lures from the Savage Gear range (good value brand in my opinion, certainly the ones I own), it's nice to have a few too many and buy a few treats occasionally! I don't loose many lures as I'm not shore fishing really snaggy ground that often, but even from the boat the occasional loss just has to be accepted.

SPs are cheap and do work well, but not always! Also I get bored pretty quickly with them, particularly if working them slowly or dead drifting with the current - often successful methods. Nothing compares to the visual excitement of the topwater 'walk -the-dog' stuff for me (hence the moniker). I haven't yet found the need to spend over £15 on a lure but I have borrowed some of the very expensive ones just to see how they work and to make direct comparisons to similar but cheaper models as well as copies/clones. Not all of the cheaper lures work as they should and you can easily end up wasting a lot of money finding good ones. Even then they often need tuning to run properly - see the Rapala info on tuning lures if you haven't already, and experiment! It really can make a massive difference as can weighting/changing hooks or adding ballast like lead foil to the body of the lure.
There are a few lures in the up to £15 bracket like the Duo Realis Pencil and YoZuri Jointed Crystal Minnow that I go out of my way to buy because they have repeatedly proved to work so damned well straight out of the box. Equally there are cheaper metal lures like the Seeker that have also earned a place in my armoury as a long casting fish catcher. It's certainly not all about hard plastics, more about having the correct tools for specific jobs for me. SPs are part of that. All good lures are certainly cost effective, and whilst I dare say I could do pretty well just using lures from the Savage Gear range (good value brand in my opinion, certainly the ones I own), it's nice to have a few too many and buy a few treats occasionally! I don't loose many lures as I'm not shore fishing really snaggy ground that often, but even from the boat the occasional loss just has to be accepted.
I don't do a lot of Lure fishing but caught my 1st Bass last year on a Savage Gear Panic Prey. Seems to work well, and I've just bought a slightly heavier one (28g) to try later in the year. £8.10 on eBay.

Good choice Trampster! The larger Panic Prey in white has caught me many, many bass including my shore pb of 81cm. The original Japanese Patchinko that it was modelled on was roughly 3x the cost at the time.

Edit - remove the feathered treble as an experiment - I've an inkling it improves the catch rate by reducing short/missed takes

Interesting! John said about the white ones after I'd bought the Sardine one! Just looked and the white is out of stock.

Tippex mate, well actually the cheap stuff from the pound shops. Its a winner for giving hard lures a temporary whiteout (y)

Tippex mate, well actually the cheap stuff from the pound shops. Its a winner for giving hard lures a temporary whiteout (y)
Good tip (pex)! I was cursing last week. Bought a new Dennett Super Spratt metal lure and used it for an hour or so. Looked at it after I'd rinsed it at home, and a lot of the finish has gone. Shouldn't be needed, but with hindsight I should have given it a few coats of clear varnish or lacquer.

Don't tell everyone but you can use coloured marker pens over the top too? Try tippex on one side and one edge of your super sprat, add a red throat stripe for a gilll flare and a black dot eye. In smaller sizes they are good for sea trout

Hi guys when u say white do u mean white belly yellow back if so north east tackle have some
I've just ordered 2 ayu 16gr and the bigger 28gr in sardine
I've got a few Ali express ones which look near on the same be good to do a compare them not only on looks but action as well

'Ghost bone' is the pattern they are generally referred to as. It's a clearish body with white back, but plain white (tippex all over) is just as good imo and very good at night, but then so is all black so it definitely pays to ring the changes! I don't find the need for the smaller lures and rarely buy lures less than 100mm/20g personally. I've had bass trolling Magnum Rapalas the same size as the big mackerel (the same I've used to troll for big game) so size does not necessarily put them off. Maybe if they're totally focused on smaller prey like whitebait and small sand eel? Or maybe its a location thing? I like a lure that casts a fair distance in the hope that it covers more fish.

Watch the hooks and split rings on cheaper lures as most come fitted with utter junk! I always change them straight away and then tune/ballast to suit. It's the action that's the attraction as they say?

'Ghost bone' is the pattern they are generally referred to as. It's a clearish body with white back, but plain white (tippex all over) is just as good imo and very good at night, but then so is all black so it definitely pays to ring the changes! I don't find the need for the smaller lures and rarely buy lures less than 100mm/20g personally. I've had bass trolling Magnum Rapalas the same size as the big mackerel (the same I've used to troll for big game) so size does not necessarily put them off. Maybe if they're totally focused on smaller prey like whitebait and small sand eel? Or maybe its a location thing? I like a lure that casts a fair distance in the hope that it covers more fish.

Watch the hooks and split rings on cheaper lures as most come fitted with utter junk! I always change them straight away and then tune/ballast to suit. It's the action that's the attraction as they say?
Yep, the hook on that Super Spratt looked a bit bent when I rinsed it. I need to get some smaller trebles - I've got plenty of larger ones.

Back