• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lure prices

Topwater
Tune/balance a lure ?
Surely if you have to adapt a lure then it's no good
Like you I normally use 20gr+

Not in my book Rock Rover! I've altered cheap and not so cheap lures to work better/differently to the way they come 'straight out of the box'. This can be for specific situations or just to alter their general action be that creating suspending lures, tuning to create tighter wobble or wider rolling, running shallower/deeper etc as well as adding rattles and adapting to different hook arrangements. I've been doing this for decades with my freshwater fishing and more recently with my latest obsession - bass! And then there's flyfishing - but that's another chapter.....:geek:

Don't tell everyone but you can use coloured marker pens over the top too? Try tippex on one side and one edge of your super sprat, add a red throat stripe for a gilll flare and a black dot eye. In smaller sizes they are good for sea trout
Neon sharpies are handy as well

Not in my book Rock Rover! I've altered cheap and not so cheap lures to work better/differently to the way they come 'straight out of the box'. This can be for specific situations or just to alter their general action be that creating suspending lures, tuning to create tighter wobble or wider rolling, running shallower/deeper etc as well as adding rattles and adapting to different hook arrangements. I've been doing this for decades with my freshwater fishing and more recently with my latest obsession - bass! And then there's flyfishing - but that's another chapter.....:geek:
I can see lure tuning being addictive like other elements of the sport, I've had a go at hot foiling and refinishing some myself and there os an extra buzz when they work, but lately I've kept things simple and got the spray can of white out when a lure is too battered to use.
The idea of tuning a lure action is interesting, I can see making a lure suspend or float up more slowly could help presentation...
Do you believe the tuning improves your catch rate?

cheers
Greg

If you've read my posts and you'll see that I've stated that I don't use lures that light, so you'll have to experiment for yourself. If you want shortcuts just send me all your lures and I'll fish them on your behalf mate:cool:

This might be of use to some one. Even with the 25% discount though the prices are more than I would normally spend on lures as I’m a cheapskate.
I was however tempted to buy just the one…..

Attachments

• BBD44EEB-2944-42E8-AEDC-F0B7C7AD8D8E.png
    BBD44EEB-2944-42E8-AEDC-F0B7C7AD8D8E.png
    491.3 KB · Views: 9
This might be of use to some one. Even with the 25% discount though the prices are more than I would normally spend on lures as I’m a cheapskate.
I was however tempted to buy just the one…..
Ooooh, which one were you tempted by? ??

Good tip (pex)! I was cursing last week. Bought a new Dennett Super Spratt metal lure and used it for an hour or so. Looked at it after I'd rinsed it at home, and a lot of the finish has gone. Shouldn't be needed, but with hindsight I should have given it a few coats of clear varnish or lacquer.
Those Dennett lures lose their finish almost instantly. I must admit though that they're pretty deadly up until then. I tried coating a few in epoxy resin (araldite) to no avail, it all peeled off...just took slightly longer. When I painted them myself they were fine, but nowhere as glitzy.
I mould my own metals now.

I just use redgills, works for me.

Back