• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Messing about on the ocean waves

Stevie69

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Good evening lads here's my report of today's antics at sea. Set off at 7am out of Hartlepool my two brothers and a lad from Trimdom. We arrived at skinningrove about 7.30ish boat was like a bullet going down there. Baits used today we're frozen blacks bluey squid and prawn and guess what none of it worked? after hours of drifting different marks all we had to show for it was pin whiting a few small haddock and some small coalies no codling at all not even little ones. About 12 o'clock the wind started picking up so we moved in shore same results there. We gave it till 2 o'clock and gave up and headed back to Hartlepool that's when the boat went tits up it wouldn't go faster than ten knots skipper had an idea what was the problem but with it being a bit choppy couldn't fix it only having one arm, so we limped back to the docks. It was still an enjoyable day and the banter was spot on. We all came to the same conclusion the that when the tees was dredged a few months back and all the chemicals were released and wiped out all the crabs it's had a knock on effect to the fish but that's our conclusion on it. Hopefully we'll be out in the next couple of weeks to try again.?

Only one arm? ?

How does he clap if someone gets a good fish? ?

Good effort though!

Nice report . Sounds bit worrying whatever went on up your way with the dredging ...been hearing bits and bobs of information about it but has anything been confirmed by e.a for example?

You were getting decent codling not long ago off the shore I think I remember.

Well done for trying Stevie. Nice report - shame the fish weren't playing ball and hope matey sorts his boat engine out OK. ????

Good evening lads here's my report of today's antics at sea. Set off at 7am out of Hartlepool my two brothers and a lad from Trimdom. We arrived at skinningrove about 7.30ish boat was like a bullet going down there. Baits used today we're frozen blacks bluey squid and prawn and guess what none of it worked? after hours of drifting different marks all we had to show for it was pin whiting a few small haddock and some small coalies no codling at all not even little ones. About 12 o'clock the wind started picking up so we moved in shore same results there. We gave it till 2 o'clock and gave up and headed back to Hartlepool that's when the boat went tits up it wouldn't go faster than ten knots skipper had an idea what was the problem but with it being a bit choppy couldn't fix it only having one arm, so we limped back to the docks. It was still an enjoyable day and the banter was spot on. We all came to the same conclusion the that when the tees was dredged a few months back and all the chemicals were released and wiped out all the crabs it's had a knock on effect to the fish but that's our conclusion on it. Hopefully we'll be out in the next couple of weeks to try again.?

Sounds a bit the same as my first boat trip of the year from Laugharne on Saturday. I wasn't too hopeful but after 6 months without a trip we had to have a go. The boat is designed for 6 anglers , although it is 34 feet long , and top speed of 10 knots so we always travel with the tide. Chugged out and although the breeze was reasonable there were residual swells coming from the south which is on the beam so it was a bit rock and roll. We travelled west towards Pendine and Amroth and drifted but it wasn't easy to fish so we put the anchor down. Scratching really so we had gurnard , dabs galore and dogs aplenty. I wanted to push on down to Tenby but it would have been a wet and uncomfortable journey so I was out voted and we sat tight hoping for the wind to ease off. (Seen reports since that there were plenty of herring and mackerel caught at Tenby on Saturday!!)

When the flood tide started we chugged back to Carmarthen Bar and parked in 2 meters of water catching a few small bass so we moved inland where the water was deeper and the size and the numbers of bass increased with half a dozen keepers and plenty of basslets and I had the only smoothy of the day which gave me the most species ( 5). Shorter day than usual , 7.30 am to 6pm , due the the tidal nature of the venue, we are sometimes out for 12/13 hours. Fishing poor but great to get out and have a bit of craic with the lads.

Last edited:
If this was a fishing charter - I am not sure how the skipper could be commercially endorsed to take fee paying passengers due to the medical requirements for commercial endorsement. It is not so much about boating skills but to be able to deal with safety issues etc.

Is he insured to do this ?

Back