• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Wales My fav Gower beach in winter

nearly70ty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi Gents.
I got a little fed up with catching small whiting and woofers, so thought a little out of the box and headed west. We arrived 11.15 am after a little stroll we were fishing by 11.45. My Conti was set up with Penn mag 3 and a two hook flapper armed with 2/0 hooks aimed at bass, my second was a Cono Flattie Fanatic with a Akois reel and the same two hook flapper with size 2 hooks to snare a flounder or two.
We were going to fish 2 hours down to low and the first of the flood, aiming to be away before the gates are locked at 5' o'clock. Weather was a mixture of cloud and sunshine, quite chilly with NNW winds blowing at 13 with occasional gust strong enough to take out the rods and stand as my mate Fulf found out, the air turned blue with a few expletives.
Good fishy looking surf three and four tables coming in strong enough to surg up the beach more than once. Bait was lug maddies, and frozen razors from this very beach, I thought with most bases covered we were more likely to succeed rather than fail. WRONG!. Not a bite not a fish, baits often coming in as they went out. Friends fishing100 yards down the beach did managed two womping flounders one each with shoulders like Arnie and both going close to 2 lbs but that was it.
It was nice to be out especially when the sun peeped through the clouds, not the success we deserved but he ho that's fishing, onwards and upward gents.

Great write up and well done for giving it a damn good go. Shame you blanked. Hope your mate gave you one of the flounders to ease the pain of the blank?

Amazing what a difference 100yds can make. Bad luck.

Report made good reading,pity you blanked though mate ,tight lines for next time ???

Back