• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

My New Uptiders ?

PeteG

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
A mate dropped these beauties off last night. A Carroll McManus semi-carbon Conoflex with a Bass tip. And a North Western Sealey, 9'6", 6-8 ounce...Both in need of some TLC, and looking forward to bringing them back to life. Should pair well with a couple of 70's ABU reels.

IMG_20220416_143606.jpg

IMG_20220416_143835.jpg

IMG_20220416_144017.jpg

Nice one Pete!

TLC? I’d still happily use them like that! ???

They're probably in better condition than me fella ☺️ I can't remember having a rod as light as the Conoflex, you could hold it all day! It's got a lovely action too. The Sealey is a bit more of beast!

Last edited:
Thank you..does it mean that you can only cast one way..?
Best done from an anchored boat where you cast up tide away from the boat rather than dropping it straight down like you would do if fishing on the drift. Something to do with having your bait presented away from any boat noise.

Best done from an anchored boat where you cast up tide away from the boat rather than dropping it straight down like you would do if fishing on the drift. Something to do with having your bait presented away from any boat noise.
So do they make downtiders..?
And what's the difference..?
Boat rods always do my head in because the reels are always upside down.

So do they make downtiders..?
And what's the difference..?
Boat rods always do my head in because the reels are always upside down.
A conventional boat rod where you drop it over the side and the tide takes it downtide ie with the flow, is a downtider.

Uptiding you’re casting in the opposite direction to the tide flow and away from the boat. And using grip leads.
You let out a bow of line out and the pressure of the tide digs the gripper in. Bites are usually seen as a slack line bite.
Very crudely, they’re essentially like smaller versions of a beachcaster.
It works better in shallower water and as Warbs says, the thinking is to get away from the boat noise. It also I guess allows a boat angler to cover a wider area.

Back