• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Navionics / C-Map Relief shading, game changer or not?

Cascars

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I recently bought a new Lowrance plotter for my boat so that I could take advantage of the new C-Map reveal charts, and now Navionics have brought out the same. Have a look here,
The detail is incredible, almost to the point that you do not need a fishfinder to work out where fish may be hiding. Almost all the wrecks that in the past took me ages to find and plot properly (I usually plot every bit of wreck I find and then delete the centre marks leaving an outline) are clearly marked on the new charts and I was pleased to see that my marks were all bang on (y)
Last time I went out wrecking I also checked out a couple of wrecks that I had not plotted but were shown on the new chart, and they were also exactly where they should have been.
Much as I love the ease of finding and fishing wrecks now using this technology I also worry that anyone else can also do the same and those 'secret' marks that most of us have are now public property:unsure:
There is still a long way to go until the whole of the UK has been mapped in this way, but have a look at the video above and discuss.........
Also, does anyone know if I can update my existing Navionics Platinum+ card with the new software?

I use the C Map Reveal Layer and it's very impressive. As you say, the alignment of mapping data to user-added way points is excellent and the granularity of detail is superb.

nLMmAnN.png

o
6pcWAay.png

I'm not too worried about it democratising marks for every Tom, Dick or Harry... as we all know, there's more to getting the best out of a mark than just finding it, e.g. tide size and direction, time of year, day/night, weather conditions etc.

Last edited:
Lol amazing!!!! You lads have better gear than a lot of the small fishing boats here!

Any one running navionics on a tablet, if so what tablet are you using ?

Have on Apple Ipad & is fine. Just make sure you keep it charged up. Use Navionics on it as a portable back up / addition to my fixed GPS & fish finder (using contours instead transducer). Also use to plan trips from comfort of home. The relief shading is great & as said you can see wrecks in more detail & that are not quite where marked on chart albeit only used for ground fishing so far.

This might not be relevant to boat guys so I might start another thread about this in the shore section.

I've downloaded the mobile app on my phone to try the 30 day trial and take a load of screenshots of places I am interested in before the free trial comes to an end. It does have the relief shading but the high resolution does not apply to every single area of coastline.

Some parts of the coast are in detail and some arn't, as though they havn't scanned that bit yet but there's enough for it to be useful. It's 30 odd quid to join I think but I'm not sure as a shore angler I want to pay that out if not every bit of coastline is in detail on the scans.

can you find out where the shading map are for before you pay ?

If it is one area - I am sure one of us can look it up on our system & check for you.
where i am looking for is north wales prestatyn and around Anglesey but if it covers just one that would be ok

can you find out where the shading map are for before you pay ?

If it is one area - I am sure one of us can look it up on our system & check for you.

Hi guys,
My free trial has ran out and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it must recognize your device. It was in good detail North of South Stack and around North Anglesey but at Porth Dafarch and beyond heading further South there was no relief shading detail apart from odd little spots down to Dinas Dinlle and beyond until you got towards the end of the Llyn. I'm talking coastal though not further out into the sea. There were other areas too but now my trial has expired I can't remember where they were.

I have had a look -Struggling to pick up detail along shoreline.as you describe South of Porth Dafarch & as you describe so probably not "mapped".

I have had a look -Struggling to pick up detail along shoreline.as you describe South of Porth Dafarch & as you describe so probably not "mapped".

Thanks for that info Coxy, much appreciated :)(y)

some one will know , i just keep a look out while we are in lock down

I've got the Navionics app on my Samsung tablet, it's been there for a few years now, my subscription has lasped but it seems to still work OK. I have only used it to look over the area's I plan on fishing but never got round to use it on the boat.

I use the shading & you can pick up the shape of the wrecks & rock outcrops etc. The former are often not where marked on map.
Useful for precise locating.

I have it on my Ipad & its also a navigation back up to main system.

Not all areas are as well covered I hear but mine (the Solent) is well charted

Back