• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

New Boat - Orkney Pilothouse 20

Would be if I bought one! Me, new boat and Bay of Biscay mix gently or violently with an unforseen wind et voila disaster :ROFLMAO:
It is worrying that people with no experience can just go out to sea with 150hp on the back and probably no safety equipment.

It is worrying that people with no experience can just go out to sea with 150hp on the back and probably no safety equipment.
Never mind 150hp, we were out in my mate's 16ft Plymouth Pilot 6 miles off South Devon a few years back, and we came across a flottila of 10 & 12ft dingys fishing, most of them with old Seagull outboards. Stupid beggars had launched from Challaborough. My mate read the riot act to them. He used to call them "the Birmingham fecking Navy"!

Never mind 150hp, we were out in my mate's 16ft Plymouth Pilot 6 miles off South Devon a few years back, and we came across a flottila of 10 & 12ft dingys fishing, most of them with old Seagull outboards. Stupid beggars had launched from Challaborough. My mate read the riot act to them. He used to call them "the Birmingham fecking Navy"!
Yep still called that now!!! The pilots are good crafts, slow chuggers but can take some weather!

I w
I would love a boat really would BUT I am too far from the sea and do not have the foggiest about the correct way to go out in a boat. You also need to have some sort of certificate to have certain sizes of boats down here... and I am not going to do that at my age, not that I am ancient but really if I want to go to sea for a days fishing maybe a kayak is the best option but even then should there be some strong tidal pull you could be in trouble. I am just going have to be happy bunging a lure or bait from the shore... I just bought a new pair of aqua shoes to wade in :ROFLMAO:

Yep still called that now!!! The pilots are good crafts, slow chuggers but can take some weather!
Yep, it was a good seaworthy boat. All was great until I went & bought a new expensive Penn boat rod & reel, and he phoned me a few nights later, and said his father was selling the house and the boat was being sold too! The Penn rod & reel is still in my cupboard unused!

I envy those who live by the sea and have a boat and can go out fishing when they want and the weather permits ... but in honesty I would not really like to live by the sea. Yes it is fine in the summer months , apart from the tourists, but in the winter when those storms come lashing in of the Atlantic? No thanks it is bad enough where we stay and we are about 60 miles from the sea. Would still be great though jumping in the boat and motoring off to the favourite fishing spot.

@jambop what about a 14 or 16 footer on a decent trailer? Easy to tow and launch single handed. They can live on the drive whilst the storms blow in winter.

I envy those who live by the sea and have a boat and can go out fishing when they want and the weather permits ... but in honesty I would not really like to live by the sea. Yes it is fine in the summer months , apart from the tourists, but in the winter when those storms come lashing in of the Atlantic? No thanks it is bad enough where we stay and we are about 60 miles from the sea. Would still be great though jumping in the boat and motoring off to the favourite fishing spot.

I live 60 miles from the sea, and I'm able to get down to the boat most weekends and sometimes during the week. If you truly want something you can make it happen. Yes, it's harder than just being able to pop down the road to the boat, but the feeling of freedom and relaxation I get from being afloat is totally worth it for me. Don't give up on it if it's something you really want ?

Back