• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

New reel and rod for beach

Rob

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi guys I’ve saved up while in lockdown and want to spend around £500/600 on a very nice reel and rod combo
But I’m slowly going insane with all the many different options out there
I wanted to go with Daiwa and the sandstorm surf fixed spool and BG 4000/8000? Reel, while trying to see reviews seems peeps saying rod to soft?
Google saying penn and Shakespeare next best? Looked on sea anglers they said Daiwa’s Theory rod best? I’m so lost with it all can anyone give me a little help cheers

Also I’m after a new tripod was going to get Daiwa but seen in lots of posts the Shakespeare seems a lot better ? Anyone got one? Can tell me bout them cheers

Hi guys I’ve saved up while in lockdown and want to spend around £500/600 on a very nice reel and rod combo
But I’m slowly going insane with all the many different options out there
I wanted to go with Daiwa and the sandstorm surf fixed spool and BG 4000/8000? Reel, while trying to see reviews seems peeps saying rod to soft?
Google saying penn and Shakespeare next best? Looked on sea anglers they said Daiwa’s Theory rod best? I’m so lost with it all can anyone give me a little help cheers
The old version of the Sandstorms were a little floppy but the new versions are much stiffer and very highly rated now. You can tell if the Sandstorm is a new one by its length. The fixed spool versions are 12’6 and 13’6

The old version of the Sandstorms were a little floppy but the new versions are much stiffer and very highly rated now. You can tell if the Sandstorm is a new one by its length. The fixed spool versions are 12’6 and 13’6
Thank you so much been so confused ? lol that’s made me very happy as like the look of that rod

Thank you so much been so confused ? lol that’s made me very happy as like the look of that rod
My lad has two 13’6 fs and I have two 14’2” multiplier versions and we both love them. I have a couple of the old type Sandstorms too and the new ones are completely different.
A couple of lads on here also have them and I’m sure they will comment, but if you are still unsure then Google John Holden Diawa Sandstorm videos and you will see a great review from a casting legend.

Also, everyone will have different opinions about reels and you might have something you are already interested in but if not, have a look at the Shimano Aerlex 10,000’s. XSB are silver and XTB are black
6065CFF8-A37B-4818-9A84-36BD2C43C736.jpeg
D5DDE68E-2101-43D6-9CFE-DCE8B152F9E6.jpeg
The reels are around £75 and the rods can be got for about £160ish so for around £460 you can get a pair of rods and reels.

Also, everyone will have different opinions about reels and you might have something you are already interested in but if not, have a look at the Shimano Aerlex 10,000’s. XSB are silver and XTB are black
View attachment 9608
View attachment 9609
The reels are around £75 and the rods can be got for about £160ish so for around £460 you can get a pair of rods and reels.
That’s great information thank you so much what a helpful bunch of nice peeps on here thanks again

The Daiwa BG's are not really a general purpose Beach reel there better for heavier fishing like from piers as shorter casting than a longer spool like one above.
Rod wise there are so many For a bit more there is the Century Fireblade that will cover more or less everything depending on if your after one set or a pair?

Plus wouldn't trust Google as that will also take you to Amazon or another place that's paid them off!

Hi there.
First off, what ground and type of fish are you targeting?
No point being recommended a floppy continental if you are targeting Conger, Huss ets from a tackle graveyard, just as recommending a scaffold tube if you are targeting whiting and dabs from a nice clean beach??

Also I’m after a new tripod was going to get Daiwa but seen in lots of posts the Shakespeare seems a lot better ? Anyone got one? Can tell me bout them cheers
Can't help with rods & reels in your price bracket - I can't run to that! As for Tripods, from reading loads of posts, it seems to be a toss up between the Ian Golds one, or the Shakespeare Salt. I've got the Salt and love it, though I should 'fess up to the fact that I bought the Salt as it was offered to me as new for £30! Folk do say that the Salt is a bit heavy, but to my mind, if you want something to last a few years, it's no good having something made out of bean cans & tin tacks! ??

View attachment 9608
View attachment 9609
That’s great information thank you so much what a helpful bunch of nice peeps on here thanks again
The Daiwa BG's are not really a general purpose Beach reel there better for heavier fishing like from piers as shorter casting than a longer spool like one above.
Rod wise there are so many For a bit more there is the Century Fireblade that will cover more or less everything depending on if your after one set or a pair?

Plus wouldn't trust Google as that will also take you to Amazon or another place that's paid them off!
hi thanks for getting back to me
I’m starting out fresh with gear after not fishing for many years
And wanted two rods and reels
Always loved Daiwa but seems fishing moved on lots and more to choose
So after watching vids was going to ring up local fish shop and order two sandstorm a bg spinning or magsealed and a penn battle 3 spinning but you think bg reels not good general purpose? The century fire blade little out of price range for two!
The fishing over hear is flat sand small rocks

I think Kine's suggestion of two sandstorm, two aerlex 1000xsb leaves you enough for a tripod out of your £600 proposed budget.

If you can get them local why not go in and see if you can get a bit of discount too?

Hiya Rob,
Another vote for the "new" Sandstorm here.
Bought myself a pair of the 14' 2" multiplier rods last Summer same as @Kine262.
Have to say for just over £300 for the pair i gobsmacked how good they are- decent rings & reel seat, easy to cast with a "proper" fishing tip & imho being labelled/sold as a surf/beach rod will cover everything apart from rough ground.
Rick?

Hiya Rob,
Another vote for the "new" Sandstorm here.
Bought myself a pair of the 14' 2" multiplier rods last Summer same as @Kine262.
Have to say for just over £300 for the pair i gobsmacked how good they are- decent rings & reel seat, easy to cast with a "proper" fishing tip & imho being labelled/sold as a surf/beach rod will cover everything apart from rough ground.
Rick?
Rick thanks for the vote I was so set on getting the sandstorms very good price can I ask what do you carry yours in? I wanted to stick with Daiwa and get the DSSRH1 rod holdall anyone used this bag? Also as I’m getting back into this time starting fresh I wanted to stick with Daiwa still lost on there reels? Fixed spool I would go over budget a little! What’s a good general purpose sea reel from Daiwa anyone have any votes thanks ?

Hiya Rob,
I carry my rods either just strapped together in their bags or in a quiver style holdall.
The Daiwa Emblems are probably the best "general purpose" f/spool reel they do without spending big money but the Crosscast & Shorecast are by all accounts decent reels for the money.
Rick

Hiya Rob,
I carry my rods either just strapped together in their bags or in a quiver style holdall.
The Daiwa Emblems are probably the best "general purpose" f/spool reel they do without spending big money but the Crosscast & Shorecast are by all accounts decent reels for the money.
Rick
Rick thanks again I’ll look into them reels hope you get some good fishing in soon ?

Back