• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Nitron F15

Grimleyfiendish

Reaction score
Anyone using the Akios Nitron, opinions please (Seen the Vids on the pre production models)

I'm now using a pair, really excellent for casting, retrieve not as positive or as smooth as the Penn CS but acceptable, overall, I prefer them to the Penns as they are a bit lighter, better casting, not as powerful as the Penns for winching, but robust enough.reels.jpg

I did look at them but went for another pair of mono magged Fathoms.
How are the Nitrons faring up after nearly 2 months?

I haven't used them a great deal Shirl, as I use different reels for different grounds, don't think they are as positive/smooth on the retrieve as the Penns but seem better for casting, but as you know, once bait is on, all things are equal !

That's true, add a 6oz lead and half a cuttlefish and stick it into a force 5 head wind and it makes little difference what reel you are using!

They look a nice reel!
Got a pair of fathom ll 15 SDs myself. Great reels, seem to be overshadowed by the Casting Special vs Akios debate. But as said, as long as they do the job, are a pleasure to use. The fish don't know what gear you've got ;)

They look good. I have just bought a pair of 7HT mags but I am now starting to worry that they don't have the winching power for the fishing I will be doing. (Bristol Channel mostly) They are still boxed so I am reading up on as much as I can just in case I need to sell them on and buy something a bit meatier.

They look good. I have just bought a pair of 7HT mags but I am now starting to worry that they don't have the winching power for the fishing I will be doing. (Bristol Channel mostly) They are still boxed so I am reading up on as much as I can just in case I need to sell them on and buy something a bit meatier.
Probably better off with a pair of fathoms.

The thing is, the Bristol channel is so varied. From clean flat beaches to boulders and reefs. Your 7hts will probably be fine on the clean stuff, but you'd want something a little more for the rough, mixed ground marks.
If you look at it this way, rough ground gear (although not ideal) can be used on clean ground. But not really the other way round.
I fish the Welsh side of the channel. (currently restricted to one flat not very productive beach ?). I use original 525 mags, and penn fathom 15s. Good all rounder reels.
Or another option if you can afford it ; keep those lovely 7hts. Get a pair of sloshes for heavier ground marks. The money you'll loose selling the 7hts might as well be off set by the sloshes?

I use a couple of Fathom II’s in the 12 size got a 15 for slightly heavier stuff and a 525 mag3 strapped to my lighter 12’6 icon sport. Fathoms are pretty bullet proof and user friendly.

The thing is, the Bristol channel is so varied. From clean flat beaches to boulders and reefs. Your 7hts will probably be fine on the clean stuff, but you'd want something a little more for the rough, mixed ground marks.
If you look at it this way, rough ground gear (although not ideal) can be used on clean ground. But not really the other way round.
I fish the Welsh side of the channel. (currently restricted to one flat not very productive beach ?). I use original 525 mags, and penn fathom 15s. Good all rounder reels.
Or another option if you can afford it ; keep those lovely 7hts. Get a pair of sloshes for heavier ground marks. The money you'll loose selling the 7hts might as well be off set by the sloshes?
Only two reels you need for Bristol Channel! Both Fathoms one's a 12 and other a 15 simple which ever reel you get something on you can handle it as decent sized clutch and strong build and also not looking like a "Kitty Fiddler" reeling @.not many -1 gearing.
The 12 set up right isn't far behind 65 style reels .33 line brimmed nearly or around 300 yards?.

Can't see much point in most other reels to be honest? Slosh is old hat Fathoms do same thing and just better.
515/525 surplus now.
Fathoms must be made by the one China man that can count/measure along with use lathes.CNC etc and not sit on the floor cross legged beating the Sh!te out of bits of metal/plastic before stuffing in a box with a label on it!
A "Reel" success for Penn.
It is the Worthy Successor to the 525 MK1.

Just Waiting/Hoping for a 12 Casting special more line capacity with a decent mono mag under that knob with side plate turned 180deg now that would fly and out of shops!

The Nitrons came and looks like going/gone? corner cutting on designing along with cloth ears! For one non drive side plate don't engage like Fathoms so twists allowing spool etc to rub

Only two reels you need for Bristol Channel! Both Fathoms one's a 12 and other a 15 simple which ever reel you get something on you can handle it as decent sized clutch and strong build and also not looking like a "Kitty Fiddler" reeling @.not many -1 gearing.
The 12 set up right isn't far behind 65 style reels .33 line brimmed nearly or around 300 yards?.

Can't see much point in most other reels to be honest? Slosh is old hat Fathoms do same thing and just better.
515/525 surplus now.
Fathoms must be made by the one China man that can count/measure along with use lathes.CNC etc and not sit on the floor cross legged beating the Sh!te out of bits of metal/plastic before stuffing in a box with a label on it!
A "Reel" success for Penn.
It is the Worthy Successor to the 525 MK1.

Just Waiting/Hoping for a 12 Casting special more line capacity with a decent mono mag under that knob with side plate turned 180deg now that would fly and out of shops!

The Nitrons came and looks like going/gone? corner cutting on designing along with cloth ears! For one non drive side plate don't engage like Fathoms so twists allowing spool etc to rub
Agree to this. I was just chucking an option if he wanted to keep the daiwas.
Yeah the fathoms are fantastic reels. Cast as far as any beach angler would require and the gears / drag to back them up.

Iv got a nitron and Penn fathom15sd ,iv got to admit the Penn is the better reel ,build quality is far superior to the nitron, but the mag on the nitron is fantastic perfect control, the nitron seems to be half designed and rushed through to challenge the Penns tobe honest I very much doubt it will last as long as the fathom15sd, just my view having used them together on a daily basis

Iv got a nitron and Penn fathom15sd ,iv got to admit the Penn is the better reel ,build quality is far superior to the nitron, but the mag on the nitron is fantastic perfect control, the nitron seems to be half designed and rushed through to challenge the Penns tobe honest I very much doubt it will last as long as the fathom15sd, just my view having used them together on a daily basis
@chesilpete said similar. To me as you say rushed it and never listened to feedback for testers sort of yeah but were doing it this anyway?
It's something asking £200 not £50 so should be spot on and made in far east so not like had to pay UK cost to make it.

Its a real shame but the Nitron is nearly a great reel. The spec is better that the penns but the actual product is just not good enough on the engineering side. The smaller capacity and the simple old abu type design should mean it casts better than the penn, the reality is a reel with multiple casting issues and poor manufacturing tolerances. Its a massive shame. I don't really like the penn cs but they are just solid, useable and reliable. There's room in the market here for someone to do something...... its a shame the daiwa saltist 15 does not come magged, its an epic reel but by the time you have bought one and magged it its bloody expensive.

Anyone using the Akios Nitron, opinions please (Seen the Vids on the pre production models)
Hi purchased my n15 mid.2020 had problems from.the start with the line going behind the spool akios blamed the line reordered different brand of line but still the same line going behind the spool cracking of and losing line and rigs.finally akios sent new spool receiving it in January 2021 Was not happy that it took so long for it to be resolved.Some reviews also noted line going behind the spool.so it's not rare for this problem on.the reel.When I changed the spool.i noted undue wear on 1.3.of the spool edge
Apart from.that I really enjoy using it.If you have the same problem.changed the spool since I change the spool.no.further.problems dave

Are those Nitron reels made from carbon or just hydro dipped?
I always thought they looked pretty good, but I've seen a lot of unhappy people wishing they'd bought something else.

hi yeh they are brilliant.they are a new look but older sea anglers frown at them..ive put abec 9s in mine and changed that daft handle..i had penns 525s and the 15, but the spool rubs if the shims are left out or not enough.thats the chinese for you. cheers andy.

Hi purchased my n15 mid.2020 had problems from.the start with the line going behind the spool akios blamed the line reordered different brand of line but still the same line going behind the spool cracking of and losing line and rigs.finally akios sent new spool receiving it in January 2021 Was not happy that it took so long for it to be resolved.Some reviews also noted line going behind the spool.so it's not rare for this problem on.the reel.When I changed the spool.i noted undue wear on 1.3.of the spool edge
Apart from.that I really enjoy using it.If you have the same problem.changed the spool since I change the spool.no.further.problems dave
the latest nitros are spot on they solved the spool issue.the penn 15 i had the spool rubbed on the side plate..cant win these days..i even fished with my 1995 penn squidder its flawless..haha.

Back