• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East North Kent bass bonanza!

Action Man

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I was frothing for last nights session. The last time I ventured out was a couple of weeks ago, which I did not report, but can gladly report I had 5 nice bass. But work and family birthdays had rendered the last 2 weeks mental, so I was desperate for this Friday night session.

I really wanted to fish my usual north Kent bass venue, but all week I had seen tons of floating weed up and down herne bay, Whitstable etc. So on Thursday night I decided to do a little reccy to see if my favourite venue was also struggling. I made the hike there after work and could not see any weed floating decision was made - I’m going for it on Friday night.

High tide last night was 10:15pm, so I left the house at 7 and got to my mark just as the water was starting to race in. I had 3/4lb of rag worm as I wanted to target the bass in the clear water, as well as sending a big one out in hope of a stingray. Yep, I’ve never had a stingray but the conditions screamed perfect, and I know this venue has produced them in the past.

First cast went out with a size 2 loop rig on each rod for the early bass. Didn’t take long and I had a 40cm bass to show for it. Duly returned.

54216519-D0D0-4A7B-A3DB-9DDA56BCAE13.jpeg

Then things went mental. Rod folded over and god knows how my knots held when fighting this monster:

61E47E95-E769-45A9-98A6-E1B49D08F357.jpeg

The smaller bass came out in force, and I was getting double hook-ups a plenty with micro bass and schoolies. I was already on 8 by the time high tide came. The rod with the big rag bait didn’t even produce a knock, but I was determined to keep trying packing loads of rag on. I sent another loop rig out on the other rod then bang suddenly a better fish came through, this one at 45cm and went in the cool box for Saturday nights Kerelan curry.

F306509B-18A0-4346-B3AE-AD564AF02A1B.jpeg

Darkness soon came and more and more smaller schoolies came on the feed.

FF2A3C03-11A1-46AB-8D2D-226C57EAC55E.jpeg

But where was mr Stingray? I knew it would always be an outside chance, but I had just received confirmation that two had been caught that night just a couple of miles away on an adjacent beach. This put the wind back in my sails and I sent another huge (and costly) rag worm bait out on the up and over rig. Whilst watching my left hand rod getting pecked to death my micro bass, the big bait rod took a knock, first time all evening. I watched and waited.

Suddenly, it folded over and held in a perfect arch motionless with the line ticking away. This was it, I’m sure of it. I didn’t rush to my rod, I casually walked over thinking about my next move and how I would play the drag, etc. finally I picked up my rod and lent into the fish, there was weight, a little bit of weight then it shot off down the beach with the Ebbing tide. I tightened the drag and began the fight, though this was much easier than I expected and it wasn’t long until I had the fish on the beach. Stinger? Nope, a bloody smoothound! And a small one for that! This was strange, it didn’t give the usual smoothound bite appearance, and certainly had the rod folder over! Even stranger is that I would have never imagined the smoothies would bother with such a shallow venue!

4ED505DD-4F3E-45FB-87B0-133276B20A30.jpeg

After all that, the left hand rod started thumping again. This time a nice 42cm bass was on the beach, once again coming home for the curry!

1ACA80C4-0E30-4F6D-A240-27A7635B1C45.jpeg

The tide started racing out and I squeezed in a couple more casts. I had another stonking bite but this one unfortunately got away. Can’t complain though as I had a great nights fishing and dinner sorted for Saturday night.

2D6F58E2-F5EC-43D2-BAEF-620BCF01A08A.jpeg

Final scores on the doors:

X15 bass (40cm, 42cm, 45cm plus micro schoolies)
X1 hound
X0 stingrays

What makes an incredible evening even more incredible?…… not a single strand of weed!!!

Until next time
Alan

Great report & photos Alan - well done! ?? (y) (y)

I was down on the beach where the 2 stingers were caught and we had a stinger between us, as well as hounds and a couple of bass. That tide must of been so small the weed didn't come through at all u till 2 hrs down.
Wanna try a bit further round next time at Seaview holiday park area

Back