• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East North Kent......PB Hound amongst the weed, 16/5/22

JMC61

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After being weeded out in just two casts in east Norfolk and Saturday night, I wasn't sure I could muster the enthusiasm to try for some hound action again. Well I took the risk and decided to give North Kent a go and brave the weed that I knew would be there. The plan was to fish the last 4 hours of the flood (HW was about 01.30am), because once the ebb kicked in the weed would be a major issue. I arrived in good time to pick my spot in the Herne Bay area but the two marks I had chosen just didn't feel right. So I moved along the coast to Tankerton, where I had been successful in the past.
Capture.JPG
I set up just as the sun had set. Bait was peelers, squid and bluey. I started off with a decent sized squid bait on a pulley running ledger with a 4ft hook length, as this set up had account for two large hounds for me here in the past.
Well the first hour and half was hard work every retrieve produced quite large amounts of weed and I only saw one bite which I missed. The good news was that I was holding bottom ok and I seemed only to pick up the weed on the lead during the retrieve.
About two and a half hours before HW I had a lovely drop back bite on whole squid at range. I waited for the rod to bend over but nothing happened. As lifted the rod up to wind in I noticed the line was round to my left and had moved down tide. I feared weed might be the culprit but as I caught up with the slack I lifted into a nice weight which shook its head violently at me......fish on!! Well after about 5 minutes and one heck of a scrap a stunning starry hound was on the beach, it was obviously a double but how much? Out with the sling and scales and it goes 14lb10oz and new PB for me, brilliant result after all the hard work. Not the best pics, a couple of video grabs and me looking round at the fox which kept me company on and off during the evening.
h1.JPG
Tankerton 14lb10oz.JPG
h2.JPG
Out went another squid bait, which produced the only other fish of the session, a small dogfish. Over the next couple of hours the action stopped with no more bites. But I was well happy with my evenings work, well worth the effort, with squid doing the business once again, not a touch on the peeler all night!

Tight lines everyone.

Nice one. Well done on the new pb ?

Great report & photos JMC - well done on fighting through the weed and getting a PB! ?? (y)(y)

The weed has been horrid on these big tides,, top marks for perseverance!! Stunning fish mate, nicely done.

Back