• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Norway: For a few cods more…

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Evening all from the land of permanent daylight…!

Today (Sunday), we had what seems to be the last of the lighter winds, so we headed seven miles offshore to try for the piggy cods and perhaps a bonus halibut.

There were a fair few cod from the off but nothing massive, up to mid/high teens fish.

Still a fair bit of swell out there, but fishable.

I thought I’d try and make a 14lb cod look 40 - 905C9546-A176-4E97-A7BC-3715DE049B64.jpeg

Tat got his first wolfish, which had been on his list, so mission accomplished!

DA184CF3-4A09-4BC6-A0A0-A3BD183CD241.jpeg
He’s a braver man than me!

It wasn’t the most prolific fishing but the deeper reefs can be like that.

I did manage to winkle out a 49lber - as best we could tell on a moving boat…

F01ABEAC-DF0B-4596-9061-87667322A104.jpeg

I almost smiled!

As low water approached, we lost the tide and the fishing died off, so we moved back inshore to ‘halibut bay’.

First drift was slow with the only fish another wolfish, this time for Ollie. No photo with this fish as it was too busy trying to eat him - this thing was so aggressive it brought its own knife along ?

4DE4A01F-D85B-42E0-B3FE-E93A003F52A8.jpeg

I moved the boat and I must confess the main thought in my mind was to get under the higher mountains close in and cut the wind chill ?

But within 10 minutes Tat was into his first halibut and had a bit of an eye opener for how long and hard they fight.
There was hope he might get in the boat first time of surfacing - no chance!

But after an up and down battle Tat prevailed and had a good 125cm fish, which went 55lb back at the camp, although it had probably lost a pound or two in blood.
It was just within the keeper limit so back it came.

CFD59BBD-C700-490F-9794-5AA1585DC4F7.jpeg

The sheep… err… the lads kindly gave me a present! I shall give her proper attention later!

2FAF9977-F612-45FD-AEBF-9F2E697ABA63.jpeg

The forecast for tomorrow is stronger winds and I think the more distant marks will be out for a day or two, so we’ll be closer to home and most likely searching for a few plaice…

Last edited:
Poor Geraldine but I suppose what happens at fishing camp stays at fishing camp.! Joe looks well chuffed, I'm sure you were smiling on the inside. I've eaten wolf fish a few times, I thought they were rather tasty.

Another great report & photos - well done boys!

Looks like a very good trip so far. Hope the weather improves for the rest of your trip.

Making me wish the time away till August for my Soroya Halibut fix.

Back