• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Not a bad day out.

Stevie69

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Left Hartlepool docks at 0700 this morning sea was like a mill pond and my mate opened the boat up to 25 knots great fun we were at the mark just In front of Saltburn in 35 mins at a depth of 80 ftIMG20220508102052.jpgIMG20220508102103.jpgIMG20220508102109.jpg the sea had a little bit of swell down there but not much anyway we had fish from the off loads of small codling around 1 1/2 lb and some decent whiting which were all returned to fight another day. About half ten we started to pick a better stamp of fish up to 3 -4 lb, with the drift getting faster all the time we had the wind increase the same direction as the sea it was like flying a kite we couldn't hold bottom I evenIMG20220508132241.jpgtried a 16oz lead, to much hard work so we rapped at 12.30.
I kept 3 fish biggest around 3 1/2 one each for me and custard and one for the dogs. Coming back in was fun, with the current it was trying to turn the boat sideways on the swells it was like surfingIMG20220508132109.jpgi loved it ??? kept telling the skipper to do it again. Then we made it back to the dock for about 13.30. a pic of the Heugh pier it's dropping to bits now.IMG20220508132935.jpgits in the distance somewhere, I'm shit at taking pics☹️, and one of the pilot pier we were closer to this one ?IMG20220508133129.jpg not a bad winter mark, but a tackle grave yard. It chucks a good fish out now and again. It's still a bit early in the season up here for the boat and no mackerel showing yet bringing bigger fish with them but really enjoyed it today?. I'm now sat in the house having a coffee getting myself ready to do yesterdays jobs that got put off by the rain grass cutting and spiking the top of the fence. ?

Left Hartlepool docks at 0700 this morning sea was like a mill pond and my mate opened the boat up to 25 knots great fun we were at the mark just In front of Saltburn in 35 mins at a depth of 80 ftView attachment 26311View attachment 26312View attachment 26313 the sea had a little bit of swell down there but not much anyway we had fish from the off loads of small codling around 1 1/2 lb and some decent whiting which were all returned to fight another day. About half ten we started to pick a better stamp of fish up to 3 -4 lb, with the drift getting faster all the time we had the wind increase the same direction as the sea it was like flying a kite we couldn't hold bottom I evenView attachment 26318tried a 16oz lead, to much hard work so we rapped at 12.30.
I kept 3 fish biggest around 3 1/2 one each for me and custard and one for the dogs. Coming back in was fun, with the current it was trying to turn the boat sideways on the swells it was like surfingView attachment 26314i loved it ??? kept telling the skipper to do it again. Then we made it back to the dock for about 13.30. a pic of the Heugh pier it's dropping to bits now.View attachment 26316its in the distance somewhere, I'm shit at taking pics☹️, and one of the pilot pier we were closer to this one ?View attachment 26317 not a bad winter mark, but a tackle grave yard. It chucks a good fish out now and again. It's still a bit early in the season up here for the boat and no mackerel showing yet bringing bigger fish with them but really enjoyed it today?. I'm now sat in the house having a coffee getting myself ready to do yesterdays jobs that got put off by the rain grass cutting and spiking the top of the fence. ?
Sounds a tidy mate. always feels good to bring a few fish home

Great report & photos Stevie - well done on the Coddies! ????

Thanks to a break in the weather we were able to get out on our fortnightly boat trip from Laugharne. We left the little jetty at 5.30 am and it was bloody freezing. The old boat chugs along at 8 knots and after clearing the estuary we turned west with the ebbing tide until we were about 5 miles offshore of Pendine. Bit scratchy but we caught a few mackerel and anchored up and landed umpteen doggies but also had a nice thorny , some plump dabs on sticky black lug , gurnard , small smoothounds and a small bass, more mackerel and a scad. Then the tope moved in and we hooked into 7 or 8 smallish pack tope and landed 5 due to dodgy traces and a heavy handed skipper. Theses trips always end with a few hours on Carmarthen bar after bass so we parked up at 2pm in a meter of water but the amount of May weed made it a night mare for the first 45 mins then it suddenly cleared. After that it was pretty good , with good sized dabs , small smoothies , couple of doggies and loads of bass all on blow lug. We ended up catching thirteen or fourteen 44/46 cm bass and many more below that size. Kept about half a dozen between the four of us and gave a couple to the skipper. Back into the tidal jetty for 530pm , which must be one of the prettiest in the country with the castle and a huge flock of egrets roosting in the summer. I didn't take my phone but I will get some photos next time.

Back