• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Off Set Hook Points

Mukiwa

Reaction score
Good evening guys,

So I don't know if that's the right way to discribe it.

But how many of you, when you buy your hooks, normally long shank Aberdeen style, which come flat, or any flat hooks, get two pairs of pliers, set one plier on the shank side of the bend, the other on the barbed side and give it a twist, so that the barb side is not flat with the shank anymore and turning the bend in a little more, not much though.

I have been doing this to my hooks, thinking that the point of the hook might catch the fishs mouth a bit better when setting the hook.

Not sure if it increases the catch , but was shown it years ago, and have come back to it of late.

So what are your thoughts

Cheers

Mukiwa

Think it's called reversed
I always used to use them freshwater fishing and swore by them have tried it sea fishing but not sure if it leads to more hook ups.
Have a look at the link below

Pete

I don’t do it but should do really as I think an offset hook helps increase hook rates.

Always a bit leery of trying to bend my 6/0 BMX hooks though, they’re not the most flexible of things, although better than Snapuma
Hmm they are tough hooks, might struggle with that one

At least I now know you think that you should do it, which gives me comfort that I am not heading down my normal fairy land road

Hmm they are tough hooks, might struggle with that one

At least I now know you think that you should do it, which gives me comfort that I am not heading down my normal fairy land road
Once upon a time, it seemed to me that most hooks you bought were offset, but not these days.
Certainly when I started out, pond fiddling mostly, they always seemed to be, from what I remember.

Think it's called reversed
I always used to use them freshwater fishing and swore by them have tried it sea fishing but not sure if it leads to more hook ups.
Have a look at the link below

Pete
Thank you for the link Pete, amazing. There is so much info in there . Yes fresh water we use it a lot too, but only this year have started to do that.

Once upon a time, it seemed to me that most hooks you bought were offset, but not these days.
Certainly when I started out, pond fiddling mostly, they always seemed to be, from what I remember.
When I first arrived in the uk, I did find it strange they didn't off set (reversed) the hook.

I didn't buy them in the beginning coz I thought they were cheap hooks, didn't know it was standard lol

I used to do it with Kamasans but came to the conclusion I getting more deep hooked fish but no noticable increase in those caught in the mouth. Nothing scientific, just a feeling. I've switched over to the veals semi circles for the small stuff now and the hook up rate has been good with few deep hooked fish as well

I used to do it with Kamasans but came to the conclusion I getting more deep hooked fish but no noticable increase in those caught in the mouth. Nothing scientific, just a feeling. I've switched over to the veals semi circles for the small stuff now and the hook up rate has been good with few deep hooked fish as well
That's interesting you had more gut hooked fish mate.

Did you bend the hook point towards the shank a bit, coz that's what I was shown when off setting the hook

Do you think it might matter on a the fish one is fishing for, meaning bass big hooks or flounder say , smaller hooks

Off setting the hook to the side, i have always done this, i believe helps hook ups. One other reason was to test the hooks, i had brought a box of 100 hooks, (works out cheaper), but they were a bad batch, and for some reason they were all brittle, they just snapped with a slight tweak to the side. So always been in the habit of doing the off set hooks. There was a little test to prove the point (no pun intended) tie your normal hook (Aberdeen) on a snood place it in a book, close the book and pull the hook through the book, do the same with an off-set hook, i am not taking any reasonability for ripped pages.

Last edited:
Off setting the hook to the side, i have always done this, i believe helps hook ups. One other reason was to test the hooks, i had brought a box of 100 hooks, (works out cheaper), but they were a bad batch, and for some reason they were all brittle, they just snapped with a slight tweak to the side. So always been in the habit of doing the off set hooks. There was a little test to prove the point (no pun intended) tie your normal hook (Aberdeen) on a snood place it in a book, close the book and pull the hook through the book, do the same with an off-set hook, i am not taking any reasonability for ripped pages.
That's a great test mate, glad I was not the only one with a brittle batch of hooks, they wouldn't bend just snapped

i can remember a few years ago you could buy offset hooks , not sure who did them , may be mustard hooks , i used to like them i will have a look to see if i can find them again

I was reading a shark fishing article by Mike Thrussell , in July's Sea Angler,and he is of the opinion that "J patterns with an offset point will not penetrate well on the strike or pull into the jaw easily under heavy pressure because the pressure at the hook point is reduced due to the reversing" I used to use offset hooks all the time but now use mainly Kamasans straight out of the box and have not noticed any difference.

I was reading a shark fishing article by Mike Thrussell , in July's Sea Angler,and he is of the opinion that "J patterns with an offset point will not penetrate well on the strike or pull into the jaw easily under heavy pressure because the pressure at the hook point is reduced due to the reversing" I used to use offset hooks all the time but now use mainly Kamasans straight out of the box and have not noticed any difference.
I would agree with that on, regatding shark fishing and other large speices, with different attack / bite on the bait.

but the fish from the shore in our waters aren't thAt big, thats why I turn mine just a small bit

Back