• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

OFF THE MARK

I wouldn’t mind having a go at Lure fishing around the groynes at my local beaches

Can anyone suggest a good cheaper rod and reel set up just to start with whilst I try out this mode of dangling and to see if it works along my shores
I bought a new Abu Garcia Tormentor rod about 18 months ago for less than £40. Very pleased with it. The casting weight is 20-60gms, but lighter ones are also in the range. Also picked up 2 Shimano 4000 size reels 2nd hand & in good nick from the Bay of e - I seem to remember 1 was £17 (with spare spool) & 1 was £13.

Just had a look - this was where the rod came from:

Squid
Or there's LRF lots of species
I bought a new Abu Garcia Tormentor rod about 18 months ago for less than £40. Very pleased with it. The casting weight is 20-60gms, but lighter ones are also in the range. Also picked up 2 Shimano 4000 size reels 2nd hand & in good nick from the Bay of e - I seem to remember 1 was £17 (with spare spool) & 1 was £13.

Just had a look - this was where the rod came from:
Cheers guys 👍

Cheers Rock I will keep my open for 1.

At this time of year are there any other species which will chase down a lure?
Yor local Gumtree pages are good to keep an eye out for 2nd hand gear, and at least you can go view it before parting with cash.

I might have 3 spools for the exage 4000 if your interested trammy
Thanks RR but I haven't needed the spare one I've got, and they are not the Shimano exage. Can't remember the name now, and can't be arsed to go turn out the tackle box, but the name begins with a Z. Hang on, I'll fire up eBay!

Shimano Zalor 4000. I think they were only originally sold as part of a rod & reel combo deal, but just after buying the Abu rod, 2 popped up on eBay! Pinched the image from Mr Google.

1670061643585.png

There’s a lot of snobbery around rod choice for lure fishing, as well as most people having their own personal favourite, but if you are just thinking about trying it out, then most modern 5000 size fs reels matched with a 1&1/2 to 2lb test curve rod will do to start. You can pick these up on eBay for around £50 each for decent brands although there are much cheaper as well as far more expensive ones available.

I think you and I are talking about different 5000’s then, as I use that size to barbel fish on UK rivers, having destroyed several 4000’s.

Not really a 5000 can be a 4000 or 6000 size depends on what brand you go for
Also I said a 5000 bit big for freshwater

Not really a 5000 can be a 4000 or 6000 size depends on what brand you go for
Also I said a 5000 bit big for freshwater
Did you? I thought we were replying to Mesmo’s request for advice on a rod and reel for lure fishing around beach groynes?
I guess we will have to agree to disagree as I use 5000 size reels for lots of freshwater and sea fishing, lure and bait. I also don’t want to take your original thread off track so my apologies if I have.

Back