• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Okay for tope?

KBE

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
I’m looking to do a bit of tope fishing this year and was wondering if my usual boat setup is okay for tope? I’ve got a
Shimano beastmaster 12-20lb boat road and an Abu Garcia 7500i cs elite multiplier.

cheers.

I’m looking to do a bit of tope fishing this year and was wondering if my usual boat setup is okay for tope? I’ve got a
Shimano beastmaster 12-20lb boat road and an Abu Garcia 7500i cs elite multiplier.

cheers.
I can't see any reason why not, does depend on breaking strain of line and what size you will be targeting.

After you caught your record tope, try for shark or marlin and blue fin tuna. and can watch the scenery as you are towed along. :ROFLMAO: Just jesting.
I have caught tope on a 9ft 3-5oz uptide rod and a Abu 5500c reel with 20lb line, had to play it for ages before it tired.

After you caught your record tope, try for shark or marlin and blue fin tuna. and can watch the scenery as you are towed along. :ROFLMAO: Just jesting.
I have caught tope on a 9ft 3-5oz uptide rod and a Abu 5500c reel with 20lb line, had to play it for ages before it tired.
Getting the balance between a good fight and taking a long time is quite critical with this kind of species. Playing a fish for a long time may be fun for you but it’s not good for the health of the fish. I’d say a 5500 size reel is too small, as is a 12-20 rod. A 20-30 would be better for bringing in the fish quicker and releasing sooner.

Getting the balance between a good fight and taking a long time is quite critical with this kind of species. Playing a fish for a long time may be fun for you but it’s not good for the health of the fish. I’d say a 5500 size reel is too small, as is a 12-20 rod. A 20-30 would be better for bringing in the fish quicker and releasing sooner.
All depends of you are talking off the shelf marketed rods or proper IGFA rods. If IGFA there are no 12/20`s or 20/30`s there are only 12 or 20 or 30. I use a 20 on white marlin and taken them to around 95lb. a 30lb (IGFA) is a massive overkill and better aimed at porbeagle.

All depends of you are talking off the shelf marketed rods or proper IGFA rods. If IGFA there are no 12/20`s or 20/30`s there are only 12 or 20 or 30. I use a 20 on white marlin and taken them to around 95lb. a 30lb (IGFA) is a massive overkill and better aimed at porbeagle.
Well I’m pretty sure the OP wasn’t talking about IGFA rods!

I go fishing for pleasure not fish mongering ;) if a spur dog, smooth hound or tope decides it likes my bait. Same as halibut up to 146lbs (larger more powerful rod, reel) and salmon fishing in BC on light gear. Here in the UK we tend to fish with heavier gear than the rest of the world. Then each to their own and what suits.

Back