• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Okay for tope?

Thanks for the clarification Stan. I thought you might pull me on that but I think it's fair to call the tippet the 'weak link' in the leader. I've sight flyfished flats style from a skiff/wading for bones and permit and also slightly deeper water for tarpon but not done any of the blue water big game stuff with a fly rod. From what I've seen on video there's a lot of teasing fish close to the boat and then tossing in a fly to where the teaser was, hooking up and then backing the boat up after running fish. I struggle to call that fly fishing personally.
My real point is that irrespective of method fishing overly light isn't sporting. Rather than being given some sort of kudos the 'as light as possible' mentality should should be chastised as bad practice in my book. The sporting maxim should surely be to fight a fish hard and as quickly as possible on suitable balanced tackle then you get far better meat or a much higher chance of a survivable release.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification Stan. I thought you might pull me on that but I think it's fair to call the tippet the 'weak link' in the leader. I've sight flyfished flats style from a skiff/wading for bones and permit and also slightly deeper water for tarpon but not done any of the blue water big game stuff with a fly rod. From what I've seen on video there's a lot of teasing fish close to the boat and then tossing in a fly to where the teaser was, hooking up and then backing the boat up after running fish. I struggle to call that fly fishing personally.
My real point is that irrespective of method fishing overly light isn't sporting. Rather than being given some sort of kudos the 'as light as possible' mentality should should be chastised as bad practice in my book. The sporting maxim should surely be to fight a fish hard and as quickly as possible on suitable balanced tackle then you get far better meat or a much higher chance of a survivable release.
I couldn't care less....either way..now go to sleep.

Chucking to a teaser area then backing up is not fly fishing, that`s kid on I`ll give you that. Others do it properly, I myself hold 3 IGFA world records on fly, two for tiger trout and one for pollack. The pollack took ages to get a take and the tigers were stalked and sight fished. The were on light leader and trust me tasted just fine. Pollack no idea, would not feed that to the dog.

Agreed Stan and it's that part of the kidology along with the stupidly light lines for big hard fighting species over very deep water that I dont agree with. You've line class records for other than just flyfishing though haven't you Stan? I've seen them hanging on your walls...

PS Flappy - what's your problem? There's a daft trend for weird posts on this forum - is it all about post numbers or is it meant to be somehow funny?

Agreed Stan and it's that part of the kidology along with the stupidly light lines for big hard fighting species over very deep water that I dont agree with. You've line class records for other than just flyfishing though haven't you Stan? I've seen them hanging on your walls...

PS Flappy - what's your problem? There's a daft trend for weird posts on this forum - is it all about post numbers or is it meant to be somehow funny?

Just flappy, humour him. Nope just fly.

You must be imagining. The 3 record certs mentioned, pic of the white marlin on fly, pic of a30lb salmon (almost 30) and an amberjack WR taken on 20lb line class on a rod I built. Only other thing up there is Hon life membership of SCBI and IGFA cert. naming me a member of the International committee and IGFA rep Scotland. (Gave it up after 22 years)

Back