• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review Old 1980s Shakespeare Graphite MK2 070

Neilos

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Just rediscovered this reel while sorting out fishing gear! Gave it a clean and an oil and put new line on it. It was the first sea reel I bought and still works perfectly....screw in handle and feels really nice. No grinding when turning ....cant wait to use it again after probably 30 years tucked away. No rust except on the screws and rear drag still works great.
Anyone else still use old reels?
As an aside...ive just counted up all my rods....16 of the bloody things! How did that happen?
20210902_143504.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty pristine for a 30yr old reel! Any plans for what style of fishing you’re gonna use it for?
Yep...it looks and works great.
To be honest I'll use it as a multi purpose reel....feather chucking etc.... but I seem to remember it was pretty decent in terms of casting so will give it a go on one my 13ft surf rods and see how it goes.

Just rediscovered this reel while sorting out fishing gear! Gave it a clean and an oil and put new line on it. It was the first sea reel I bought and still works perfectly....screw in handle and feels really nice. No grinding when turning ....cant wait to use it again after probably 30 years tucked away. No rust except on the screws and rear drag still works great.
Anyone else still use old reels?
As an aside...ive just counted up all my rods....16 of the bloody things! How did that happen?
View attachment 13763

You've looked after that well Neil! ??

I've still got a big old Gilfin multiplier that started off as my Father's so it must be over 45 years old. It was on my roller tip boat rod until a few years ago, and the only reason I removed it & stashed it was that I wanted to clean the boat rod, and I don't go boat fishing any more!

As for Rods, I must have got a similar amount - just bought two more in the last month! ?? Probably more reels than rods too!

I've still got & use the multiplier I learn to cast with,a narrow spool Mitchell,it must be 30 year old if not more!!!.

I've got your problem with lots of rods & reels,I'm putting it down to gremlins ,they keep finding them & putting them with the rest of them !!!!!!!

I've got your problem with lots of rods & reels,I'm putting it down to gremlins ,they keep finding them & putting them with the rest of them !!!!!!!
Dammit....ive got my eye on a Daiwa SS 12ft for 50 quid brand new

Dammit....ive got my eye on a Daiwa SS 12ft for 50 quid brand new
Bugger .. and a brand new old stock Penn Surfmaster 60 with spare spool for 35 quid....I collect tomorrow. Supposed to be a great reel....built to last.

Back