• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Online tackle.

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I was having the usual browse through local Gumtree bargains this morning, and sponsored ads from this store came up - not heard of them before.

They are UK based in Dorset, and appear to be genuine, offering Paypal payment with the usual buyer protection.
Lots of Line available from Sufix, Berkley, Diawa J-braid etc. Rods & reels from Penn and other well known brands, although they are mixed in with some Chinese cheapies.
I mentioned it to Wifey who works with her Brother in his online sales business (big stores on eBay & Amazon) and she said her Brother has just started selling on Onbuy too. Apparently, they are using a similar business model to Amazon and are currently the fastest growing online retailer. I'd never heard of them before.
Whilst browsing through their products (I got to page 12 & gave up for now!) another new (to me) UK company cropped up. Tempted to try their King Rag, which is £1 cheaper on Onbuy!

Tight lines lads! (y)(y)

I think it looks expensive. Did a check on the maxima line that came up at £11.20, £8.45 Angling Direct. Then filtered to shakespeare, £215 for a salt beach shelter, £109 Amazon?

I think it looks expensive. Did a check on the maxima line that came up at £11.20, £8.45 Angling Direct. Then filtered to shakespeare, £215 for a salt beach shelter, £109 Amazon?
I didn't check any prices Thrash, partly because I didn't have time, and also because there isn't really anything I need at the moment.

I must admit I've stopped using eBay and never use Amazon, mainly because I've always found it cheaper to go direct to the retailer/supplier than buying through another site, most things I've bought in the last few years have been around 10% cheaper buying direct.
I do see that onbuy place come up when looking for stuff but as others have said, it's not normally the cheapest option, so I've never used them.

I know alot of people swear by Amazon, etc.... But next time you think of buying a branded product, try searching Google and see what prices come up. An example, I bought a new set of hair clippers last year, my dad bought the exact same model, mine was ditect from the Wahl website shop, his were from Amazon, his was about £10 more expensive.

I must admit I've stopped using eBay and never use Amazon, mainly because I've always found it cheaper to go direct to the retailer/supplier than buying through another site, most things I've bought in the last few years have been around 10% cheaper buying direct.
I do see that onbuy place come up when looking for stuff but as others have said, it's not normally the cheapest option, so I've never used them.

I know alot of people swear by Amazon, etc.... But next time you think of buying a branded product, try searching Google and see what prices come up. An example, I bought a new set of hair clippers last year, my dad bought the exact same model, mine was ditect from the Wahl website shop, his were from Amazon, his was about £10 more expensive.
We do have quite a few good tackle shops here (bought some weights last week) but if I need something, it means getting Jeepy out to go have a look at what they have and what the price is like. With fuel price increases, that has to be factored in. I buy a lot of stuff on eBay - swear by it, but I try to buy from eBay shops locally (Devon & Cornwall) where I can. Don't like Amazon - I find it harder to navigate than eBay, and if you search for something, it often comes up with a load of unrelated tat.

I too deal with Wahl direct for hair clippers & beard trimmers - I get their regular emails, and there are often good bargains in their Reconditioned department.

We do have quite a few good tackle shops here (bought some weights last week) but if I need something, it means getting Jeepy out to go have a look at what they have and what the price is like. With fuel price increases, that has to be factored in. I buy a lot of stuff on eBay - swear by it, but I try to buy from eBay shops locally (Devon & Cornwall) where I can. Don't like Amazon - I find it harder to navigate than eBay, and if you search for something, it often comes up with a load of unrelated tat.

I too deal with Wahl direct for hair clippers & beard trimmers - I get their regular emails, and there are often good bargains in their Reconditioned department.
Totally agree about Amazon, I find it quite confusing to be honest, and the 3-4 orders I placed years ago turned out to be absolute junk or they sent the wrong items so I decided not to use them again.
Very good point about fuel and travelling to shops, especially as alot of places do free postage. I haven't been fishing alot over the last few years so haven't brought alot of gear, but the few times I have I've either been going past the shop or ordered from veals/Gerry's online, both been very helpful and free postage.

Totally agree about Amazon, I find it quite confusing to be honest, and the 3-4 orders I placed years ago turned out to be absolute junk or they sent the wrong items so I decided not to use them again.
Very good point about fuel and travelling to shops, especially as alot of places do free postage. I haven't been fishing alot over the last few years so haven't brought alot of gear, but the few times I have I've either been going past the shop or ordered from veals/Gerry's online, both been very helpful and free postage.
Veals, Gerry's, Blakdog and a lot of other good sellers have shops on eBay which is handy. On the rare occasions I do decide I need something from Amazon, usually ask daughter to order it as she has Prime.
I followed a link from a Youtube recipe last week to get some small pie tins - Amazon sent the wrong size, and I then found out the same seller has an eBay shop, and they were £2 cheaper!
Twice in the past when I have ordered stuff, they've signed me up for Prime without my say-so, so have had to go through the mill to sort it out.

With Amazon you have to read the critical revues on products . Ive had a really good experience with Amazon and most of the things i buy with a next day delivery. With Ebay have a look at the sellers feedback and read what the negatives say

Last edited:
Veals, Gerry's, Blakdog and a lot of other good sellers have shops on eBay which is handy. On the rare occasions I do decide I need something from Amazon, usually ask daughter to order it as she has Prime.
I followed a link from a Youtube recipe last week to get some small pie tins - Amazon sent the wrong size, and I then found out the same seller has an eBay shop, and they were £2 cheaper!
Twice in the past when I have ordered stuff, they've signed me up for Prime without my say-so, so have had to go through the mill to sort it out.
My Mrs was ordering something from Amazon when I walked in the room and spoke to her yesterday. She then got all grumpy and said she had accidentally signed up for Prime because I distracted her! Some time and many sighs, grunts and expletives later she had apparently extricated herself again…….

My Mrs was ordering something from Amazon when I walked in the room and spoke to her yesterday. She then got all grumpy and said she had accidentally signed up for Prime because I distracted her! Some time and many sighs, grunts and expletives later she had apparently extricated herself again…….
It's a good service if you use them a bit. Free postage soon mounts up never mind all the other bits

It's a good service if you use them a bit. Free postage soon mounts up never mind all the other bits
Yep. At first I felt it was almost a scam as you had to very carefully untick boxes before payment as ‘with Prime’ was the default setting.

After ordering three or four things from Amazon a month over a couple of months, I realised I could have saved £20 or more with Prime, so it was a no brainer.

Then I twigged (doh!) that with Prime membership I could also watch Prime Video which has a whack of movies and series on that I wanted to watch.
So well worth it to me.

Yep. At first I felt it was almost a scam as you had to very carefully untick boxes before payment as ‘with Prime’ was the default setting.

After ordering three or four things from Amazon a month over a couple of months, I realised I could have saved £20 or more with Prime, so it was a no brainer.

Then I twigged (doh!) that with Prime membership I could also watch Prime Video which has a whack of movies and series on that I wanted to watch.
So well worth it to me.
Pretty much faultless service in my experience as well, I know others may disagree. Always get what has been ordered, usually next day, but even same day on odd occasions. If they went into politics I'd vote for them

She does seem to buy regularly from Amazon so I’m not sure what her aversion to Prime is. I’ve never used Amazon ……….yes I am that man!

Back