• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Out and about again last night……

Great report and I have to agree with Joe, very neat baits.

Regarding the dogfish croaking noise, I was led to believe they throw their guts up to try and get something out that shouldn't be there. I've had it a few times with bigger Huss when they're deep hooked and they throw up all sorts (I've even seen a decent sized dab come out a few times), you see the hook, remove it and then they go back fine.

Cheers mate ?

Well done on beating the blank Kevin (y).

Great report and I have to agree with Joe, very neat baits.

Regarding the dogfish croaking noise, I was led to believe they throw their guts up to try and get something out that shouldn't be there. I've had it a few times with bigger Huss when they're deep hooked and they throw up all sorts (I've even seen a decent sized dab come out a few times), you see the hook, remove it and then they go back fine.

Doggies and huss both eject their stomach contents to try and get rid of the hook and it's a proper pain when you're fishing a match and every ounce counts :LOL:.

One thing I have seen huss throw up several times is whole octopus, but though I have tried the octopus as bait, I've yet to catch anything on them ?.

Doggies and huss both eject their stomach contents to try and get rid of the hook and it's a proper pain when you're fishing a match and every ounce counts :LOL:.

One thing I have seen huss throw up several times is whole octopus, but though I have tried the octopus as bait, I've yet to catch anything on them ?.

Can't say I've ever tried octopus as bait, only ever caught one on the island, but may be worth a go in future. I'd imagine octopus would be similar to squid and cuttlefish as bait?
Have you ever used fresh octopus as bait?

Years ago I used a small octopus,caught a conger with it ,off eddystone reef

Can't say I've ever tried octopus as bait, only ever caught one on the island, but may be worth a go in future. I'd imagine octopus would be similar to squid and cuttlefish as bait?
Have you ever used fresh octopus as bait?

I've caught a few octopus over the years, but never when I've been fishing for conger. Even if I did catch one though, I'm not sure I could bring myself to kill it ?.

I happen to think that squid is one of the most underrated baits there is and I've caught plenty of conger and huss on it over the years, but I just can't buy a bite on cuttlefish. I think cuttle is more suited to boat fishing than shore but I have no idea why.

Totally agree with you Andy 1965, about squid being a underrated bait,you are right cuttlefish is used mainly on the boats.my mate always takes cuttlefish when he goes out in his boat.

I've caught a few octopus over the years, but never when I've been fishing for conger. Even if I did catch one though, I'm not sure I could bring myself to kill it ?.

I happen to think that squid is one of the most underrated baits there is and I've caught plenty of conger and huss on it over the years, but I just can't buy a bite on cuttlefish. I think cuttle is more suited to boat fishing than shore but I have no idea why.
That pretty much sums up my experience with cuttle aswell, never had much luck with it, not through lack or trying either, I've wasted so much of the stuff for no reward. Squid on the other hand accounts for alot of my fish on the island, with mackerel being another good bait but does attract ridiculous amounts of dogs at times, well, most of the time actually.

Totally agree about the octopus too, would seem such a shame to kill such an incredible creature for bait, bit then again, they actually creep me out a little, they're very strange little creatures and have incredibly strong suckers on their tentacles. The one I caught was hanging off my lead with only one or two suckers the grabbed my hand and was a nightmare to get off! ?

Back