• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Out at last...

I've got the gear but no idea.Have a 15ft double handed salmon rod which I've never used.Daiwa I think.A Shakespeare 12ft and a Silstar Traverse X 12ft.Going to waste.Can't remember what weight they are.
I wondered why you had a salmon in your avatar.

I’d just sneak in and drop a string of feathers in their fun fishing pond ???
I’ve been there for work and you can stand by the fun pond and flick bits of dirt in and the fish go for it ???

Fair play, I do it occasionally on the local ‘private’ pool... after dark of course. Wouldn’t go down well with the tweed brigade... but on the whole they’re twats anyway
Had a great session on the rainbows on a small local river when the trout farm upstream lost thousands of fish during a big flood.
Squid strip, small float or weight, fish a cast, took 11 I think.

I didn’t wear me tweed though, so might not quite have been doing it right?

Had a great session on the rainbows on a small local river when the trout farm upstream lost thousands of fish during a big flood.
Squid strip, small float or weight, fish a cast, took 11 I think.

I didn’t wear me tweed though, so might not quite have been doing it right?
I’ve always had to work hard to catch fish, except for the humble trout. They seem to just gravitate towards me! It’s especially helpful when the owner of said trout are aware that you enjoy relieving them of their booty

I’ve always had to work hard to catch fish, except for the humble trout. They seem to just gravitate towards me! It’s especially helpful when the owner of said trout are aware that you enjoy relieving them of their booty
They do like squid, it seems ?

They do like squid, it seems ?
I had some very pleasant days fishing the Lynn near Watersmeet for trout. Proper wild brownies, although it was 20 years ago, so I’m not sure if they are still there now.

I had some very pleasant days fishing the Lynn near Watersmeet for trout. Proper wild brownies, although it was 20 years ago, so I’m not sure if they are still there now.
Yep, still in there mate, but not very big.

Well done flappy it’s nice to see that apart from your massive perverse nature you can fish a bit aswell nice report mate ???

Finally managed to escape from work and farm duties for an afternoon..and went for a dangle.
It wasn't the best weather wise as it was blowing well..and cold..and the trout lakes are quite open to the elements..but a trip was required out..it must be a good 9 months since I had the chance to fish.
When I arrived..at 1pm..all the swims with the wind behind the anglers were taken..so I had to fish with the wind in my face..which was annoying..but set up..and started.
Third cast..with an olive stalking bug..a knock that didn't connect..but next cast..fish on...about 2 1/2 lb rainbow..good start.
View attachment 7885
Next hour..nothing..not a twitch..so I moved around..several spots and fly changes..white bug..damsel..buzzers..nothing for another hour or so.
A few fish began to feed off the top as the wind dropped..so I opted for a black klinkhammer...then a suspender buzzer..but nothing came for a look..so I moved again.
Had a smoke..and scratched my head..and had a plan...switched to a fly called a Holy Grail....
First cast..a knock..second cast..fish on...
View attachment 7886
Another one followed after in close after..so I moved again..and fished the blowy end of the lake..managed to send the whole line out..nobody was catching..so was chuffed to miss two fish in ten minutes..an hour followed just getting the odd knock on the Grail..then two fish in ten minutes..so moved again..back to where I started..had one more fish to fill up the 6 fish ticket..so the holy Grail was launched into the wind.
My fingers were cold..as was the rest of me..was starting to suffer from the cold..
A few casts..nothing..so a black titanium bug went on..first chuck..fish on..felt bigger than the rest...about 3lb when I landed it.
Glad to get out..but glad to get finished and to warm up in the car.
View attachment 7887

sorry ..you stole the fish , and poached the story ..no way in the world are you a good enough angler to catch these and competent enough to write about it ...knocking one out in a sock ..yes ...fishing ..no ..?

Nice one Flapps ..???

Last edited:
I bought a basic kit from a mate when I thought I might try it but tbh wouldn’t even know how to set it up or if what I’ve got is suitable.

I do know people I can ask if I’m ever that bothered to really have a go...
Best thing is to go with someone who fly fishes, they will teach you and within an hour you should be fine.

Back