• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Over and out?

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After last week’s success, I decided to make the most of a brief window in the weather on Thursday night, and to try and push back the date of my latest ever lure caught bass by another 7 days. My original plan was to fish the same place again, but I’ve never done well there over low in the dark, so an eleventh-hour change of plan saw me heading for the deep water mark where I’ve caught most of my late season bass this year instead. Conditions looked good when I arrived an hour before low water, with flat calm water flowing gently past, but the clarity wasn’t quite as good as I would have liked. Having said that, it wasn’t the worst I’ve ever fished in either and the clarity at this mark usually improves there nearer low, so I decided to give it a go anyway ;).

With the tide being a 30 footer, it had gone out a fair way further than usual which had exposed a lot of the ground I have previously fished over, though sadly not enough for me to recover any of the Mishnas I’ve lost there :LOL:. It was however still interesting to see a few of the features which the bass must hunt among on smaller tides.

After a quick exploration of the ground, during which I made a mental note of anything which might come in useful for future visits, it was back to the task in hand and in view of the shallower than usual water over the features in front of me, just like last week the Swimmish was the first lure out of the box.

Going by past experience, I didn’t expect much to happen on the ebb and this proved to be the case once more, but as low water passed and the flood began to push, I was more hopeful of some action. Regrettably it wasn’t to be, and despite trying all of the lures which have previously done the business for me there, and fishing the flood for an hour longer than usual, I failed to tempt anything. In fact apart from the very occasional splash, probably caused by very small pollack which I know frequent the area, I didn’t see any signs of life and I was eventually forced to admit defeat :cry:.

Before leaving the shore I took my usual temperature readings, and with the air at a chilly 6.5°C, the coldest evening so far this autumn, and the water temp being down a whole degree from last week at 10°C, I called it a night on my 50th lure session of 2020.

I guess that would be the ideal place to call an end to my bass hunt for another year, and to get started on my regular winter hunt for congerzilla, but with a decent spell of settled weather forecast from Wednesday, it might be a little premature just yet :unsure:.

Back