• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Pop up baits

Neil PAFC

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi Guys,
What are peoples views on pop ups for beach fishing. I have only used pop up baits for Carp.
I don't know how successful they are for keeping baits away from crabs.Thanks in advance
Neil

Great for garfish and macks or scad. A shorter pop up can raise a bait away from the crabs but bottom fish will still come up for it. I know a couple of lads who swear by a short pop up for tope as well

At our favourite estuary bass venue it is a necessity to pop up the worm baits as the place is alive with crabs. I was sceptical when I first fished there with my colleague who has fished there for many years as he put the bright red pop up only a couple of cm from the hook bait. I was sure it would put the fish off but this isn’t the case at all and they often leave teeth marks in the soft pop ups.

Welcome to TSF Neil! Nice to have another member from my manor! I haven't tried pop-ups yet but was goiing to give it a go. I've got some 10mm pop-up beads but think I might need something larger for a big Worm bait!

Pop ups for summer fishing are great couple of rig combos I use are a 6 ft pulley rig use 6 ft section of Main line the 14 inch snood couple of pop up beads and a size 4 hook had mackerel gar scad bream bass gurnard useing this rig casts nicely and sits the bait high I. The water colum orso Google Ian golds palegic rig a absolute killer when the fish are on the feed anther good one is the urge rig small Portuguese urfe bar with a 12 ft trace comeing off it the urfe bar stops it from tangleing bait wise small sand eel long thin strip of squid make sure it’s white not pink mind or my favourite small belly section of mackerel just remember the bigger the bait the more pop ups you need so keep thing small a mate landed a 7 lb bass last year on a popped up section of squid I’ve orso started useing a single yellow pop up bead on my bragnell bar rigs for plaice seems to work aswell mate

Use pop ups a lot use a yellow or pink pop up on the top snood off a loop rig if it’s quiet and pick up the usual macs, Bream gurnard etc. a long running up and over rig works well for single hooks higher up in the water tightening up and slackening the line every so often can induce a take I found.

I rarely fish for species apart from bass and codling (remember them???) these days but in the past I tried the proprietary pop up beads but concluded they were pretty ineffective on my marks due to the sheer volume and pace of the tide (unless tiny neaps which rarely produce any fish!). Wine corks have worked with regards to reducing crab attacks but remember crabs swim and hop about and I'm sure they can pull/walk a snood down, crafty gets that they are!

I use them a lot ,I usually use them on the bottom hook length when using a 2 hook rig ,I use 4-8 of them at a time, depending on what bait I'm using,it seems to work the crabs usually leave the bait alone.

Back