• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Prawns as bait

What is your preference regarding bait? Any old cart or something special? Mate uses roadkill rabbit(well matured) for signal crayfish!
They don’t seem too fussed but you can’t go far wrong with a manky mackerel or bluey, I find.
If I’m after crabs, they’re even less fussy, but a fish is still best as they can’t break it up and eat it so quickly.
Even 20 minutes with a bluey is enough for a crowd of crabs to half strip it!
Probably why worm baits don’t last 30 seconds at that mark!

Last edited:
I've always struggled to find any local live ones of a decent size.
Put a trap down the side of a pier, you’ll get a few, especially after dark. Tends to be a bit slow in daytime.
If you stay on it, you can get enough worth taking home.
As I said though, need to check it fairly often

My mate had one of those Prawn traps, we used to use it frequently off the end of the pier with good results. That was until the day I was tasked with deploying it. Now if I'm being honest I was a bit absent minded that day due to several very large herbal "baton rounds" in quick succession. I baited it up a chucked it off the end, unfortunately I hadn't held onto or indeed secured its string to anything. Oops. ?

My mate had one of those Prawn traps, we used to use it frequently off the end of the pier with good results. That was until the day I was tasked with deploying it. Now if I'm being honest I was a bit absent minded that day due to several very large herbal "baton rounds" in quick succession. I baited it up a chucked it off the end, unfortunately I hadn't held onto or indeed secured its string to anything. Oops. ?
?? that’s the first thing you do, lol

They don’t seem too fussed but you can’t go far wrong with a manky mackerel or bluey, I find.
If I’m after crabs, they’re even less fussy, but a fish is still best as they can’t break it up and eat it so quickly.
Even 20 minutes with a bluey is enough for a crowd of crabs to half strip it!
Probably why worm baits don’t last 30 seconds at that mark!

My mate used to get a load of crabs ever other weekend down a pub in Leith... up market wine bar now but there is still a chance of a dose of crabs if you are not careful :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

My mate used to get a load of crabs ever other weekend down a pub in Leith... up market wine bar now but there is still a chance of a dose of crabs if you are not careful :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Would they share the crabs with an ugly cornish boy if he was on holiday?

You got the doh then you get a go how you look does not enter into the equation... cash on the nail and a pre cum is a fail :ROFLMAO:
LoL tidy!!!! Good to see proper every day stuff coming through! Lol

Bit too close to the "smack dome" (Easter Road) for my liking.! You need vaccinations, and I don't mean the covid one to go into that area of town. ?

16350591758633672078968167796724.jpg
This is my prawn traps. A 2 litre plastic bottle with the end cut off with a hot knife and some holes .
I've only used it once. I thought I'd be clever and leave it in the water for a couple of hours while fishing then pull it up and it would be jammed full of prawns.
Twp blennies and no bait was the result.
I'd put a fair bit of bait in it so what ever had eaten it had had their fill and buggled off.
As the only way in is through the bottle opening it must have been prawns.

I use a prawn trap off the promenade over the road from where I live and you seem to get the bigger ones where it's rocky. You also get lots of crabs too.
If you get a shrimp net and just push it over the sandy bit, you find mostly brown shrimp. There was a guy out there today shrimping that my landlord was talking to and he had got lots of small weevers in his net today, the first one managed to sting him apparently. IMG_2588.JPG

Back