• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Re-Crimping tool

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing?
Im sat here re-tying a few match rigs (three hook clip downs) and despite the soft copper crimps being lightly pinched, they are a pig to un crimp with pliers, move and re crimp.

Is there a tool that helps return their cylindrical shape prior to re crimping?

Is there such a thing?
Im sat here re-tying a few match rigs (three hook clip downs) and despite the soft copper crimps being lightly pinched, they are a pig to un crimp with pliers, move and re crimp.

Not that I am aware of Alex ...............

Sakuma used to make moveable crimps for match anglers, they had a tiny nylon sleeve in copper crimp, but they stopped doing those a couple of years ago.

Tie your rigs using silicon / neoprene tube or powergum to make life easier ............... yes, longer to make up the rig, but less faffing when you re-tie them and you can also take out the slack easier on the beach for the clip down ..............

I’m sure Breakaway make a crimp with a rubber insert and special tool that can be moved/adjusted. I’m pretty sure I have one somewhere and a load of crimps.

power gum alex or 200lb braid and a grinner. ah brings back memories of the good old days..... 80lb dacron also locks up with a grinner.... put an srt spring in the top snood and the give in that saves slippage.
Spiders n loop rigs.... you have to have a plan down here!

Not that I am aware of Alex ...............

Sakuma used to make moveable crimps for match anglers, they had a tiny nylon sleeve in copper crimp, but they stopped doing those a couple of years ago.

Tie your rigs using silicon / neoprene tube or powergum to make life easier ............... yes, longer to make up the rig, but less faffing when you re-tie them and you can also take out the slack easier on the beach for the clip down ..............
Yep, never used crimps as I always worried they might damage the line. Try powergum stopknots. Mark Williams did a great tutorial on 3 hook clipped down rigs recently. And a certain person at Lyme bay tackle has some excellent Sakuma powergum in stock! ??

I use a simple electricians crimping tool. No need to crimp up tight just nip them, to loosen crimps I just use the same tool at 90 degrees to the original crimp. If you are damaging the mono then you are crimping too tight or the crimps have rough ends on them.

Thanks for the replies.
I use crimps for quickness.
Well aware of power gum/neoprene/silicon stops but when you are making batches of 3 hook clip downs it's all a bit of a faff!

I only lightly pinch the crimps and generally they are easy to un pinch, move and re pinch

I just wondered if there was a tool to make loosening them easier ?

I wonder if you could get a pair of pliers and drill a hole the same diameter as the crimpat the point the jaws meet. That way you'd have a semicircular hole on each jaw.
Put a flattened crimp in and squeeze it back to something like original.
Thanks Shirley, now I have to go and buy a pair of pliers !

I make my own krimping pliers, b and q cheap pig iron for a couple of pounds ,

I file the jaws to the same length of the crimp , the get a barrel burr and make a groove inside both jaws , that is slightly smaller than the crimp, the get another barrel burr that is the same thickness as the crop, that I counted sink the two ends of the jaw , not perfect but works

I wonder if you could get a pair of pliers and drill a hole the same diameter as the crimpat the point the jaws meet. That way you'd have a semicircular hole on each jaw.
I think you will find any pair of pliers of reasonable quality will be hardened steel and a nightmare to drill.

That's exactly what I was going to do!

That's exactly what I was going to do!
I've tried it now with a cheap pair of small pliers I had in the workshop.
I have a 1.5mm cobalt drill which I used and it handled it no problem. They are really cheap pliers so pretty soft as well.
The crimps I use are 1.23mm diameter.
It doesn't work on them however I had a rummage in the bottom of a tackle box and found a 2mm crimp and it worked, but then recrimped it as the hole was smaller than the crimp.
So it's about matching the crimp and hole and I think it's got legs.

Attachments

• 16037305313183418368966878352815.jpg
    16037305313183418368966878352815.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 9
I've tried it now with a cheap pair of small pliers I had in the workshop.
I have a 1.5mm cobalt drill which I used and it handled it no problem. They are really cheap pliers so pretty soft as well.
The crimps I use are 1.23mm diameter.
It doesn't work on them however I had a rummage in the bottom of a tackle box and found a 2mm crimp and it worked, but then recrimped it as the hole was smaller than the crimp.
So it's about matching the crimp and hole and I think it's got legs.
Brilliant! Well done.
I think Ill give it a go myself.

Is there such a thing?

Think it might be the copper crimps
I went over to the veals ones and they are great but so soft I haven't been able to reshape them I always could with the steel ones but just show the copper ones a pair of pliers and they are locked.
Will watch this thread with interest
Pete

I have a pair of Dave Docwra round nose pliers that I bought in the 90's.
The nearest to them was round nose pliers that jewlery / hobby crafter's use.
If you lightly crimp the crimps ,they hold but can be moved up & down the line.
If you click on link & scroll down there is a short clip showing it.
Or just Google Dave Docwra & search videos.
It's a lot easier than sliding knots

There's a lot to be said for the old telephone wire twists. Twist them up around a length of grip wire and cut to about 30-35mm. Slide them on your rig body and tighten to suit. Been down the power gum, float stops and adjustacrimp roads and went back to the phone wire. Cheap, very adjustable from sliding to locked over and over again, effective!

There's a lot to be said for the old telephone wire twists. Twist them up around a length of grip wire and cut to about 30-35mm. Slide them on your rig body and tighten to suit. Been down the power gum, float stops and adjustacrimp roads and went back to the phone wire. Cheap, very adjustable from sliding to locked over and over again, effective!
Bet that looks right pikey.!

Back