• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ready to Go

Slipper Limpets are harder to find, an invasive species, and banned as bait since 2015 according to British Sea fishing. ??
Yeah but they’re still a good bait, so I understand?

I’d use em, doubt they’ll be reproducing after a hook up the jacksy a couple of times!

We don’t get them here anyway, more the south coast I believe?

Seen a guy catch some cracking plaice on chisel useing slipper I’ve never tried it
All the older angling books - and I don’t mean that old, last 20/30 years - all bang on about collecting slippers after a big blow.

We don’t get them, but seen the odd shell on other beaches.

Yeah but they’re still a good bait, so I understand?

I’d use em, doubt they’ll be reproducing after a hook up the jacksy a couple of times!

We don’t get them here anyway, more the south coast I believe?
Never seen one, so probably wouldn't know one if I picked it up. I'm still thinking about getting a Fox Armamesh thingy, going foraging for Mussels, conical Limpets and anything else I can find to mix with some chopped Squid, Mackerel or whatever, and make up some "bait sausages" and freeze. Guessing they wouldn't be doing much reproducing after a spell at -18 deg either!

Never seen one, so probably wouldn't know one if I picked it up. I'm still thinking about getting a Fox Armamesh thingy, going foraging for Mussels, conical Limpets and anything else I can find to mix with some chopped Squid, Mackerel or whatever, and make up some "bait sausages" and freeze. Guessing they wouldn't be doing much reproducing after a spell at -18 deg either!
I’ve only seen the shells. And not in Devon.

Does that Armamesh stuff dissolve eventually? Must admit I’d be uncomfortable leaving stuff on the seabed.
Mind you, appreciate we leave line out there sometimes but that’s not intentional lol

I’ve only seen the shells. And not in Devon.

Dies that Armamesh stuff dissolve eventually? Must admit I’d be uncomfortable leaving stuff on the seabed.
Mind you, appreciate we leave line out there sometimes but that’s not intentional lol
No - the PVA stuff that Carp or (Crap!) fisher folk use dissolves in fresh water, but I've seen folks say it doesn't dissolve in salt water. Don't understand that. The Armamesh stuff doesn't dissolve, but the secret is to firmly mount your 'bait sausage' on the hook(s), maybe with some bait elastic, so that you can remove it when you have reeled in. Folks also say that it helps preserve the baits against attack by Crabs, so your baits last longer thus saving money! ??

Are those slipper limpets or the normal conical type?

Slippers are good bait but the ordinary limpet is really only attractive to wrasse.
And crabs... ???
Normal limpets.

As i said i had a couple of knocks and each time the limpet was gone from the hook, i had the first limpet hooked on in and out of hook but other two just on hooked once, and you know how hard a limpet is, it would not have fell off.

It looked like a small bass bite to me.

No - the PVA stuff that Carp or (Crap!) fisher folk use dissolves in fresh water, but I've seen folks say it doesn't dissolve in salt water. Don't understand that. The Armamesh stuff doesn't dissolve, but the secret is to firmly mount your 'bait sausage' on the hook(s), maybe with some bait elastic, so that you can remove it when you have reeled in. Folks also say that it helps preserve the baits against attack by Crabs, so your baits last longer thus saving money! ??
I guess as long as it’s coming back, no problemo.

Unless it snaps off on a snag but then all the line would be out there too so I guess a bit of bait sausage would be a bit academic lol.

Could also spike part of the sausage through a hook too I guess? Or the hook through the sausage, whatever I mean!

Normal limpets.

As i said i had a couple of knocks and each time the limpet was gone from the hook, i had the first limpet hooked on in and out of hook but other two just on hooked once, and you know how hard a limpet is, it would not have fell off.

It looked like a small bass bite to me.
I’d that in North Wales mate?

My experience with them has been they work quite well for wrasse, but never had anything else on them.
Are small wrasse possible there?
Although we’d use them as crab line baits for blennies as kids.

But every area has variations on what bait works ??‍♂️

I’d that in North Wales mate?

My experience with them has been they work quite well for wrasse, but never had anything else on them.
Are small wrasse possible there?
Although we’d use them as crab line baits for blennies as kids.

But every area has variations on what bait works ??‍♂️
Barmouth.
We spoke on here before in a post about limpets and some said wrasse.
Never seen or heard of wrasse caught where i was.

Like i said as a session is not all about catching and a blank to me don't matter, limpets are plentiful easy to get and not messy like mussels what are also plentiful.
So next time it will be mainly limpets just for an experiment (and my half box of razors that no fish liked only the crab) and i will have 3 on the top hook, but try a different location.

Barmouth.
We spoke on here before in a post about limpets and some said wrasse.
Never seen or heard of wrasse caught where i was.

Like i said as a session is not all about catching and a blank to me don't matter, limpets are plentiful easy to get and not messy like mussels what are also plentiful.
So next time it will be mainly limpets just for an experiment (and my half box of razors that no fish liked only the crab) and i will have 3 on the top hook, but try a different location.
Ahh, right., yes vaguely remember that thread!

Yes, nothing wrong with trying readily available baits and mixing things up a bit.

I do prefer catching, lol, and by that I mean my target species rather than whatever shows up.

But that’s just me, been doing it 30 years and have become quite specific with my angling (probably means more blanks!) but nothing wrong at all with just enjoying the trip.

Back