• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Réel loading ?

Algonquin

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Sorry folks, I have another newbie question to challenge you folks.
I have a new reel, new braid & some mono that I'm not sure what to do with.
As far as I can work out the braid I have will pretty much fill the reel if I use it on its own. Do I need to put some mono on the reel first before Ioad the braid? I've attached some piccies of the gear I have so you folks know what I'm working with.
Chèers in advance for the help. ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210906_232603.jpg
    IMG_20210906_232603.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210906_232315.jpg
    IMG_20210906_232315.jpg
    520.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20210906_232238.jpg
    IMG_20210906_232238.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 20
Have you got a spare spool for your reel? I like to load up with mono backing then add 130 to 150m of braid on top. It's important not to overload with braid (2/3mm below spool lip) but obviously you don't want too little or your casting is impaired and it will annoy the hell out of you. This is where having a spare spool comes in handy as you can load from one to the other and make adjustments. Remember to load under tension - pulling it through a wet cloth from a spool holder is what I do. I'll often slightly overload a spool on land then trail it all out of the back of the boat to re seat it perfectly. Once it's right as far as level and tension are concerned it's generally hassle free - just watch for slack loops when closing the bail and starting each and every retrieve !

Topwater's advice is sound. If you were going to use just mono, the spool of 0.16 4lb would fill your reel spool twice, but if you intend to use Braid, there is only 100m on the spool you have shown, and you reel will hold just inder 200m so yes, you will need to use some backing. It sometimes also pays to put 1 turn of electrical tape around the spool before you start loading braid to stop it slipping on the spool. As Topwater said, ideally you need to wind your braid on the spool, and then attach some mono to bring it up to the correct level below the rim, after whcih you have to reverse it. Not easy if you don't have a spare spool. Personally, I experimented with braid on a much bigger surfcasting reel and kept getting wind knots - hated the stuff, so I've gone back to mono on all of my reels. Just my personal opinion - everyone to their own.

This might help ,i use braid as my shock leader in top of normal mono ,about 15-20yds of braid per reel.on all my reels.

Topwater's advice is sound. If you were going to use just mono, the spool of 0.16 4lb would fill your reel spool twice, but if you intend to use Braid, there is only 100m on the spool you have shown, and you reel will hold just inder 200m so yes, you will need to use some backing. It sometimes also pays to put 1 turn of electrical tape around the spool before you start loading braid to stop it slipping on the spool. As Topwater said, ideally you need to wind your braid on the spool, and then attach some mono to bring it up to the correct level below the rim, after whcih you have to reverse it. Not easy if you don't have a spare spool. Personally, I experimented with braid on a much bigger surfcasting reel and kept getting wind knots - hated the stuff, so I've gone back to mono on all of my reels. Just my personal opinion - everyone to their own.
Exactly what I have just done...stripped all the braid off and put mono back on...knots were driving me nuts....wind and the one attaching the leader....and even with glasses the braid was difficult to tie for me.

We are talking spinning not beachcasting as this is the lure forum??? Well anyway I am :D...... I don't use shock leaders or fluorocarbon/ mono direct leaders with PR/FG knots etc. Been there and eventually sacked it off. I've gone back to what's always worked in freshwater and salt all around the world - I thread on a knot protector (stops the tip ring getting damaged) and then tie on a small power swivel with a 7 turn Uni using doubled braid. You can add what you like to that be it mono, FC or wire. Just my way of doing it and there are others that you might prefer.

Thanks so much for the advice folks.
Finally managed to get out for my first day proper lrf fishing today and actually caught something other than seaweed.
Amble South Pier, Northumberland.
HTO Rockfish L, Daiwa Crossfire 2000LT, line as seen above with a pre rigged off the shelf drop shot rig and Maryuku Isome.
First cast, strike within about 30 seconds and my first ever fish.
I have to say this must have been pure luck, as my fellow anglers we’re using similar bait and blanked totally, as did I for the next three hours or so!??‍♀️
What’s that all about?
Anyway, I’m over the moon, and bug definitely caught. I’ve already ordered another HTO Rockfish (UL) rod ??‍♂️ and am now debating what reel to pair with it?
Think I may have caught the bug!

Thanks so much for the advice folks.
Finally managed to get out for my first day proper lrf fishing today and actually caught something other than seaweed.
Amble South Pier, Northumberland.
HTO Rockfish L, Daiwa Crossfire 2000LT, line as seen above with a pre rigged off the shelf drop shot rig and Maryuku Isome.
First cast, strike within about 30 seconds and my first ever fish.
I have to say this must have been pure luck, as my fellow anglers we’re using similar bait and blanked totally, as did I for the next three hours or so!??‍♀️
What’s that all about?
Anyway, I’m over the moon, and bug definitely caught. I’ve already ordered another HTO Rockfish (UL) rod ??‍♂️ and am now debating what reel to pair with it?
Think I may have caught the bug!

Attachments

• IMG_20210922_123629.jpg
    IMG_20210922_123629.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 8
Back