• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Reel maintenance

Ollieollie

Reaction score
My boat reels are due for some action and as it’s been a while since they’ve had some attention so its service time. I have oil and grease but can I ask what people are using to give the internals a good muck shift with??

I use a large screwtop glass jar to create a 'bath' of Aspen pure petrol or Gunk. Use it then pass it through a coffee filter to remove the solids then recycle it with a little bit of fresh fuel to top up.

My boat reels are due for some action and as it’s been a while since they’ve had some attention so its service time. I have oil and grease but can I ask what people are using to give the internals a good muck shift with??
Lighter fluid mate, although any spirit will do it.
I have in the past used white spirit but it’s a bit whiffy and takes longer to evaporate.

Dismantle completely and leave everything to soak for a few hours is what I do.

When I can be bothered!

Wouldn’t use WD personally as it dissolves oil (as I’m sure you know), so any left could feck up your reels if it dissolves the grease or bearing oil.

Need to buy some lighter fluid myself actually, must do my shore reels…

I give mine a good spray with WD40 ,let that drain away then oil them ,using 3 in 1 spray,I use it all the time
WD40 has got really dear. A mate of ours runs an engineering shop and he sells the Ambersil range of products. Their 40+ is half the price of WD40, cleans stuff realy well, and is slightly oilier so doesn't evaporate do fast. Also leaves a protective coating.

952133_xl.jpg

WD40 has got really dear. A mate of ours runs an engineering shop and he sells the Ambersil range of products. Their 40+ is half the price of WD40, cleans stuff realy well, and is slightly oilier so doesn't evaporate do fast. Also leaves a protective coating.

952133_xl.jpg
Yep, not really the stuff for reel servicing though

Yep, not really the stuff for reel servicing though
It's good for cleaning providing you wipe it out thoroughly, but it does depend what parts you are cleaning. My point was for those that do use WD40, Ambersil 40+ is cheaper and a better quality product.

It's good for cleaning providing you wipe it out thoroughly, but it does depend what parts you are cleaning. My point was for those that do use WD40, Ambersil 40+ is cheaper and a better quality product.
Exterior stuff yes, I wouldn’t use it inside a reel.
But you’re right, there are plenty of other WD40 alternatives that don’t cost a fortune

Back