• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Reel seats

Just a thought, what reel are you attaching to the rod as some reels have a smaller foot on them and can cause problems. I know some multipliers have a really thin foot and the few times I tied an akios multi on my old sonik rods, they wouldn't tighten up.
Maybe worth trying a different reel?

Put some bicycle inner tube rubber under the reel foot or electrical tape under the seat (I've done this for years with no sticky residue ever?) If you're having issues with griplocks sticking then swap the hood for a new fuji one - the tab that runs in the groove is worn and turning up and onto the thread when you are tightening it up

They don’t stick every time, but enough to be annoying.
I've had this, I lightly hammer the top of the moveable jaw, I think the go out of shape and end up oval that's why I was hoping for something new and hopefully more reliable

I've had this, I lightly hammer the top of the moveable jaw, I think the go out of shape and end up oval that's why I was hoping for something new and hopefully more reliable
Yes, I think you’re probably right.

I start lightly hammering and end up smashing, while shouting ‘move you fecker!’ ?

Hi one thing you can do is cut a sliver out of a piece of inner tube about 13mm/1/2" wide and length of reel foot then stick to reel fitting with something like a polyurethane glue what they stick patches on waders/wet suits etc gear has flex once dry that way any reel you use it presses down enough once done up tight so locks reel and fitting to rod and can move still.
As been said not all reels have enough depth/thickness once done up to put enough pressure on tongue they cut on FUJI fitting.

Other is use a coaster as aka the original style But you still might find reel foot bottoms out at each end in hoods so can still move around when casting.

Never get any of these issues - I've never had or even seen a rod with a movable reel seat!

Never get any of these issues - I've never had or even seen a rod with a movable reel seat!
I have a beach caster rod with a moveable reel seat, pain in the backside although it does lock on the blank when the reel is tightened. Still hate them though.:mad:

Only Moveable Seat your ever likely to see/meet/feel is the one your Butts squashing while sitting in your Tank!
You never go fishing you said apart from in Lidl's

Shouldn't have to do it on an expensive rod like that make sure it's the right reel fitting think it's 24mm on t800 if it' is still to big a little bit of tape if not a bit of shrink tube about a foot long aleast if use shrink tube you a can replace it when gets dirty you can also replace the tape
Trouble is your converging with three items reel.seat.Shrink tube so esp with some reels having a shorter flatter foot the amount of freedom you have is limited and reel seat/tube wears Shrink tube squashes so if reel foot is like previous there isn't enough to take the wear up so can't tighten up snug

Hi one thing you can do is cut a sliver out of a piece of inner tube about 13mm/1/2" wide and length of reel foot then stick to reel fitting with something like a polyurethane glue what they stick patches on waders/wet suits etc gear has flex once dry that way any reel you use it presses down enough once done up tight so locks reel and fitting to rod and can move still.

I'm going to give this a go, nothing ventured nothing gained

I fix all reel seats with electrical tape, that is sliding seats like those on modern centurys but also fixed seats like the Fuji DPS.

I do spiral wraps of tape on the Shrinktube/blank one at a time, until it is nice and snug to slide the reel seat over, I then simply do a wrap or two of tape over each end to prevent twisting. They have never moved, with FS or multis.

I have done this to all of my rods. It is reversible too as it is simply just eleccy tape on the shrink, peels off. I try not to make it any more complicated than that

quick wrap of sparkies tape where the reel seat is going to go, and a wrap each end of it when positioned correctly

never had em move yet

you can see the tape at the frontof the seat in the attached, and under the seat, theres a single layer

Attachments

• ha.jpg
    ha.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 13
You seem to hate so many/much things!
I only like things that are proven to be good and value for money, nought wrong with that Tourn. ;)

Just a foot note I used a Penn 515 mag last night and it was rock solid

got a few century rods and their reel seats are crap always have been I've replaced all mine with american tackle company ones better fit on rod & reel foot and a lot stronger construction century are using their rod guides now not be long before you see their reel seats on rods
Thanks for taking the time to reply I'll have a search and see where I can pick one up
Cheers again many thanks Brian

Last edited:
Back