• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Regional baits.

All depends what you are targeting.
Black lug is the most popular down here in SE Kent, but I suspect that is because it is easy to use, catches a variety of fish and is comparatively easy to dig or buy.

I think if more people used Squid or fish baits catch rates would drop but size of fish would increase.
From now until crimbo its lug and squid then it seems to go to lug on it's own,but squid its own can be a top bait

All depends what you are targeting.
Black lug is the most popular down here in SE Kent, but I suspect that is because it is easy to use, catches a variety of fish and is comparatively easy to dig or buy.

I think if more people used Squid or fish baits catch rates would drop but size of fish would increase.
Yeah agree with that fish and do bring the bigger fish in but you lose the numbers

I have noticed bait preferences seem to be regional and it must be the choice of the fish rather than just angler fashion.

For example I’ve noticed ragworm is considered quite a good smoothie bait on the south coast, but I wouldn’t bother here.
Oh, they’ll take it now and again but crab is far superior until later in the summer when squid also does the business.

And another example, I’m going flounder fishing in the local estuary tomorrow, where they don’t seem to want any bait apart from maddies.
King rag, total waste of time. Lug, might get the odd schoolie, in my experience.
Further down the estuary they might take a bit of peeler.

Peeler, good bait but it’s not the be all and end all. More suited for matching the hatch. Can be good lower down the estuary and up the BC ie areas with lots of crabs, but I’ve not had a huge amount on it on our open coast rock marks.
Actually likewise black lug. Good up the BC for codling but does very little for me further down.

One bait that doesn't get a great mention around the country is white rag, I know its available around all the south coast but how about further up country?.
Personally If I have it I know Im going to catch that day, when I lived in London id drive miles to buy from a digger if I was fishing a match, luckily I can dig some down on my patch, have found it catches most species.
Anyone else think its a good bait?

One bait that doesn't get a great mention around the country is white rag, I know its available around all the south coast but how about further up country?.
Personally If I have it I know Im going to catch that day, when I lived in London id drive miles to buy from a digger if I was fishing a match, luckily I can dig some down on my patch, have found it catches most species.
Anyone else think its a good bait?
Never tried it but herd it’s good

When I did use bait, my most successful results came from digging fresh at low water and using the fresh bait on the same flood on the same mark(king rag, lug, any shellfish) bass.
Also if I knew I was going to miss the tide or fish a spot with no natural source of bait, then fresh mackerel from the supermarket on the way, cut into tiny slithers.
I’m acutely aware of the regional differences with lures, which is even more bizarre imo.

Here’s my view on it, I am based in north Kent but fish all over kent

Bass
Spring - peeler crab
Spring and summer - lug worm or rag worm
Autumn - whole squid

Thornback rays (In my personal preference)
1. Bluey
2. Peeler crab
3. Whole squid
4. Herring
5. Rag

Smoothounds
Spring - peeler crab
Summer - hardback crab
Autumn - both the above plus squid

Cod (before they became extinct)
Half a cuttlefish wrapped in frozen blacks

Fresh blow Lugworm Or black lug my go to for anything else which is flat or round.

Alan

Used to find a few when trenching blow lug, never enough to make it worthwhile targeting them on their own. A great bait in clear water or the small ones for tipping other baits
Yea likewise, find a few on my local beach among the lug, when I cba to dig, which is rare!

Frozen mackerel as a catchall, sandeel for rays, peeler crab in season for bass and flounder, fresh prawns floated or ledgered and maddies out of the harbour most which I have been able to collect myself.

Frozen mackerel as a catchall, sandeel for rays, peeler crab in season for bass and flounder, fresh prawns floated or ledgered and maddies out of the harbour most which I have been able to collect myself.
Most of them all fished with your secret stash of perfect casting stones off the beach, a great lesson i was taught ?

Back