• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

rig use. ?

rigs used per session-

• one or two

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • two to five

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • five to 10

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • more than 10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

geejayy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
quick question, - on an average session how many rigs do you use?

2 rigs in use ,one a single hook,the other a two hook rig,with one of each in top tray of box ready to use .

Four on clear ground, more on rough. Fish with two and have two spare baited ready.
Probably about the same as me. In the really rough stuff they last about as long as a politician’s promise.

Leads are the main casualty but the line takes a battering too and sometimes you lose the lot anyway.

When I’m wrassing I’m normally making up the next rig while the last is in the water, because there’s a 50/50 chance it’ll be needed.

Very rarely fish rough ground, and whilst I can see the benefit of 'double patting', I don't usually bother with it. Usually a 2 hook flapper (sometimes clipped) & an up & over rig serves me, with a few spares & different rigs in the box in case a change of plan is needed!

Summer fishing I’ll use pulley pop up ufe rig with 12 foot trace loop rigs with 36 inch snoods and bragnell bar rig with 4 to 5 ft trace for plaice depends on venue at night generally a loop rig with shorter traces pulley rig for hounds and clip down running ledger for rays orso bass so I. Answer to your question lots ????

me- i usually fish clean beaches for long hours. since my casting improved and i loose less with crackoffs, i'd put myself in the two- five group unless pestered by snaggs and snottys. still not sure why a carry 3 rigwallets and about 30 odd rigs with me any more:unsure:.

Clean ground at least two in the water and two baited baited up. May use more if either hook points ha\/e dulled or I'\/e changed tactics. Rough ground maybe a rig a cast although since using 60lb braid straight through and 40lb hook lengths and 30lb rotten bottom U get a lot more back than I used to and simply tie on a new hook or lead

Clean ground at least two in the water and two baited baited up. May use more if either hook points ha\/e dulled or I'\/e changed tactics. Rough ground maybe a rig a cast although since using 60lb braid straight through and 40lb hook lengths and 30lb rotten bottom U get a lot more back than I used to and simply tie on a new hook or lead
How well does the heavy braid stand up to abrasion?
It’s an option I’ve been considering for a limited few marks.
What deters me is I’d have to used fixed spool as I don’t trust braid on multis.
And I really don’t enjoy using FS although I will in certain situations.

How well does the heavy braid stand up to abrasion?
It’s an option I’ve been considering for a limited few marks.
What deters me is I’d have to used fixed spool as I don’t trust braid on multis.
And I really don’t enjoy using FS although I will in certain situations.
Stands up well enough for me. I se it for shockleaders as well It's amazing how much more tackle you get back. Ob\/iousley keep an eye on it and cut off any fluffy bits. Personally I wouldn't be without it now. The only drawback is the rougher 4 strand braid can clog with really fine weed and jam in the tip ring e\/en though there is no leader knot

Stands up well enough for me. I se it for shockleaders as well It's amazing how much more tackle you get back. Ob\/iousley keep an eye on it and cut off any fluffy bits. Personally I wouldn't be without it now. The only drawback is the rougher 4 strand braid can clog with really fine weed and jam in the tip ring e\/en though there is no leader knot
I might consider trying it for wrassing one day. I’d imagine on the open sea the fine weed issue wouldn’t (usually) be such a problem as it is in the estuary?
Really not keen on using FS but it’s worth a try to see if I can get on with it.

Long pully for rays over clean ground. Short pully for rays over rough ground. Fixed pat for hounds over clean ground. Short pully for hounds over rough ground. 2 hook flapper long snoods for sole close in work. Various loop rigs depending on targets. 3 hook clip down very short snoods, 3 hook clip down long snoods. Up and over see saw wish bone. 6ft pop up rigs 2 hooks various size pop ups depending on target. 2 hook clip downs. Occasionally use drop down rig. If fishing chesil can have close on 50 rigs on me. Don't normally double pat just incase a dog comes along, but if I do I keep it in a bucket.

Back