• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rigs

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
One up one down rig versus the wesex rig? I know they are built differently but they both seem to do the same thing?

Is there a tactical difference or reason for choosing one over the other?

Only difference i would say is that the wessex would be my choice if i was getting finicky bites cus the fish will feel less resistance due to the running lead giving them more time to settle and munch on the bait as they dont keep feeling the weight of the lead only the stretch in your line if using mono.

Only difference i would say is that the wessex would be my choice if i was getting finicky bites cus the fish will feel less resistance due to the running lead giving them more time to settle and munch on the bait as they dont keep feeling the weight of the lead only the stretch in your line if using mono.
Interesting, I will be on fs and braid.

Who knows whether it really makes a difference but sometimes if it makes you think you are making a difference it often does, its a confidence thing i guess (y)
Personally, I think it makes no difference. The principle is sound but whichever I use you are virtually guaranteed a fish on the bottom hook in the estuary even with snoods as short as six inches. There is no difference in catch rates. As you say though, confidence is important

Personally, I think it makes no difference. The principle is sound but whichever I use you are virtually guaranteed a fish on the bottom hook in the estuary even with snoods as short as six inches. There is no difference in catch rates. As you say though, confidence is important
If I am on a boat after flatties I use a short two hook paternoster , with a ( small ) lead at the top and bigger one on bottom of the rig to keep two baits on the deck. Might be worth it if you don't have to cast too far on the beach.

Have a mixture of rigs i use some my redesigns also(Pulley dropper) use an SRT spring and clip at top so a sliding up and over type and with sliding crimp on rig body can easily adjust if change hook/line.

Another is like rig above but cascade swivel in on top snood and both hooks clip into splashdown with bottom line a running one.
Have wishbones in various configs!

Personally I’ve never understood it when people say it comes down to confidence. The fish has absolutely no concern of my confidence in my bait, rig, tackle or venue. I’ve fished days with all the confidence in the world in all of the above and blanked. There have been times I’ve fished venues I’ve had zero confidence in ( I only did so because someone else wanted to fish it) and done really well.

Personally I’ve never understood it when people say it comes down to confidence. The fish has absolutely no concern of my confidence in my bait, rig, tackle or venue. I’ve fished days with all the confidence in the world in all of the above and blanked. There have been times I’ve fished venues I’ve had zero confidence in ( I only did so because someone else wanted to fish it) and done really well.
If you are confident yoiu tend to work harder. pay more attention etc as you expect to catch. If you can't be arsed changing baits every 15 minutes or ,making sure hook points are clear etc because you think there is no point you will miss fish

If you are confident yoiu tend to work harder. pay more attention etc as you expect to catch. If you can't be arsed changing baits every 15 minutes or ,making sure hook points are clear etc because you think there is no point you will miss fish
Some people might be like that. I try my best regardless. ( and still fail haha ). I do get your point though. Fair enough.

Back