• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

River Ant

Chrisbl

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Morning chaps, thought I would post a report on the freshwater side.
I’m lucky with where I live, surrounded by the Norfolk broads , several rivers and the coast less than 10 miles away.
Yesterday was how shall we say, moist , damp or just good old fashioned wet with several heavy showers but there was a period of dryness about teatime. I usually keep some lure gear in the van along with the kayaking gear so all I have to do is put the kayak on the top as and when it takes my fancy. So about six o’clock I made the decision to get out based on my phones weather forecast and me gazing at the sky and seeing large patches of blue sky approaching. By half six I’m paddling my way from Barton Turf staithe , ready to go head to head with the local perch population. I’ve been a few times recently and I’ve been having reasonable results on the river pulling a small lure behind me. I reached the river and headed towards Stalham, it wasn’t long before perch number one was snared and things were looking good. The boat traffic was a bit on the heavy side with lots of hire boats of various ages, some best described as‘vintage’, I guess the boatyards are dragging anything out to satisfy the extraordinary demand this year. Anyway I am waffling now so I’ll get on with it, two more perch caught one of which was barely bigger than the lure, greedy bugger. Came round one of the meandering bends to find a couple of chaps all set up with rod pods, bivies and everything, kitted up in realtree , hmmm takes all sorts, I decided to turn round at this point and try the broad, just before I got there perch number four was on but it wasn’t going to be that simple. Upon retrieving said perch there was an almighty swirl, clutch giving it some, game on. I lost however and retrieved my lure minus whatever had been attached, not to be outdone I clipped on a big ol’ lure I use for pike and launched it out, lure hits water and is literally hit straight away resulting in a fine mid double pike. Two boats stopped to watch the fight and also me getting proper soaked, having played said pike and alongside the kayak I reached down to unhook when she decided she wasn’t done yet. Explosion of water and she tail walked herself away, I’m now absolutely drenched much to the amusement of my audience. Anyway I got her back and unhooked her in the water and all was well. The rain clouds were now gathering so decided to head back to the staithe , the heavens opened just as I finished loading everything up. So that’s it chaps, productive couple of hours.

Back