• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rod builder.

Go floundering in Poole harbour and drop it off at Gary allners on the way his only about 10 minutes from holes bay
Being a non driver, that would be very difficult. But thanks anyway.

Ian.

Well i have decided to build the rod myself, just ordered a hand wrapping jig and dryer from Cotswold Rods. Baught a Cono-Flex Black Adder blank many years ago, built it to a very descent finish, so i know what i am doing, looking forward to doing it. :)

Ian.

Petes still about and building! he just changed his Facebook name!
Hi Pete, yes, Wilson Rods now, but very busy, but now i have purchased all the gear, i will do it myself.

Ian.

Go for it wingnut55,will you be posting build reports & piccys ???
Once i get the Wrapper and dryer, will get going, and will post build reports and pics as i go. (y)

Ian.

Once i get the Wrapper and dryer, will get going, and will post build reports and pics as i go. (y)

Ian.
Nice..... its an extremely satisfying thing to do.
I have not done one for ages but I have a couple of old but good rods here which are not economically viable for a posh rebuild.
One day I will get round to them.
Theres a reason they are so "play worn" I liked them and used them for many years, It would be good to see them back in the stable.

I'll ask him if it's OK to give you his number
Thanks Gary. But i have purchased the gear to build it myself now, so his services no longer required. ;)

Ian.

Update....

Wrapping jig and dryer have just been delivered, along with the Threadmaster high build epoxy. Ordered a set of American Tackle TI-Forged Duralite K style guides from Cotswold Rods nearly two weeks ago, they are the guides that are on my Zziplex Profile GT that i got from Gerry's, but one of the 12mm guides was missing, contacted them, said would pop the missing guide in the post, still waiting. I have all the wrapping threads required as well. I have spined the blank.

CBR 1.jpg
CBR 2.jpg
Aim is to replicate the Roger Nowell built Zziplex Profile GT that i purchased from Gerry's, ie same colour scheme.
Roger Nowell.JPG

Will post pics as i go, if i ever get the missing guide that is. ;)

Ian.

Last edited:
Contacted Gerry's to find out what wrapping thread Roger Nowell uses, turns out he uses ProWrap, i got fuji thread :(. Matt at Gerry's gave me the codes i need for the Prowrap threads, just ordered what i need from Breakaway. (y)

Ian.

They are going great mate, I’ve got used to the casting style I need to use to get the most of them and for the marks I fish, they are well suited. Couldn’t be happier! Thanks buddy ??

Back