• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rod builder.

Gave up on the missing Guide from CR. Ordered one from Gerry's yesterday. just arrived. Just waiting on the ProWrap threads from Breakaway-Tackle now, and i can get going.

Ian.

Finally got all the gear together for the build, waited ages for the Prowrap threads i wanted. :(. Why is it that reel seats are never their stated ID, ordered a 22mm for the Profile GT, using my digital calipers the butt section came in at 21.8mm, 22mm American tackle reel seat arrived, to small, measured 21.7mm, feck sake, so me thinks get a 23mm one, arrives, bloody things nearer 24mm. Yes in know i can put some tape or shrink underneath to pack it out, but shouldn't need to if the seats were the actual specified ID. My Century rod reel seats fit like gloves, juji made, so i have ordered some Fuji ones, fingers crossed they are the actual stated ID. ;)

Winge over. :)

Ian.

Last edited:
Finally got all the gear together for the build, waited ages for the Prowrap threads i wanted. :(. Why is it that reel seats are never their stated ID, ordered a 22mm for the Profile GT, using my digital calipers the butt section came in at 21.8mm, 22mm American tackle reel seat arrived, to small, measured 21.7mm, feck sake, so me thinks get a 23mm one, arrives, bloody things nearer 24mm. Yes in know i can put some tape or shrink underneath to pack it out, but shouldn't need to if the seats were the actual specified ID. My Century rod reel seats fit like gloves, juji made, so i have ordered some Fuji ones, fingers crossed they are the actual stated ID. ;)

Wine over.

Ian.

You`ll be lucky. probably the reason you could not get a size 23 is that available sizes are 12/14/16/18/20/22/24/26 etc etc. Out of thousands of builds I don`t think I can remember one that was a perfect fit. All needed and arbor build up or else ream the internal face of the seat.

Methinks you are going to have a fun build if you expect it all to work smoothly.

You`ll be lucky. probably the reason you could not get a size 23 is that available sizes are 12/14/16/18/20/22/24/26 etc etc. Out of thousands of builds I don`t think I can remember one that was a perfect fit. All needed and arbor build up or else ream the internal face of the seat.

Methinks you are going to have a fun build if you expect it all to work smoothly.
Thanks for that Stan. :)

Ian.

Well guys n girls, after sitting on these zziplex blanks for months now, with the intension of building them myself, after a lot of thought i decided to get a rod builder to do them for me, i have two zzippy M4 Hi-Flex M's and two zzippy Primo Synchro's. Having been in touch with Pete Wilson (bearded rod builder) months ago, who was about five minutes drive away from me i decided to give him a call, would you believe it, he has moved to Kent, and wont be undertaking any rod work until December, grrr, but he did put me in touch with his good friend Garry Allner, who he highly recommended. Had a chat with Gary, got a good price for all the rods, as i will be supplying the guides, reel seats etc, needless to say we are driving to Poole tomorrow to drop the four blanks off at Gary's, 2- 4 week turnaround. Cant wait to pick them up.

Ian.

Last edited:
Well guys n girls, after sitting on these zziplex blanks for months now, with the intension of building them myself, after a lot of thought i decided to get a rod builder to do them for me, i have two zzippy M4 Hi-Flex M's and two zzippy Primo Synchro's. Having been in touch with Pete Wilson (bearded rod builder) months ago, who was about five minutes drive away from me i decided to give him a call, would you believe it, he has moved to Kent, and wont be undertaking any rod work until December, grrr, but he did put me in touch with his good friend Garry Allner, who he highly recommended. Had a chat with Gary, got a good price for all the rods, as i will be supplying the guides, reel seats etc, needless to say we are driving to Poole tomorrow to drop the four blanks off at Gary's, 2- 4 week turnaround. Cant wait to pick them up.

Ian.
Nice!

Well we have just got back from Poole, made a day of it. Dropped the four zzippy blanks off at Gary Allner's, very nice chap, had a good conversation about colour theme, spigot wrap length tip tape etc. I supplied four sets of Fuji BCMNAG guides, and the Pro-Wrap threads in the colours required. Garry showed me some of the work he was currently doing, and all i can say is superb. Cant wait to see the finished rods.

This is the what he will be doing for me on all four rods. But the wraps wont be as long as the pic, far too long.

Screenshot 2022-06-14 163207.jpg

Ian.

Gary sent me this picture today for my approval, he has started one of the Primo's and wanted my opinion before doing the other three blanks, butt guide wrapping, i have said it looks superb and go for it please. His take on my colour scheme looks so much nicer i think.

received_765792634432306.jpeg

Ian.

Last edited:
That looks very smart you made a good choice there mate
Thanks mate, i know Gary will do a fantastic job on my zzippie blanks.

Ian.

Nice choice of colours and for your neck of the woods a great choice of rods.
In reference to a couple of other posts above, you wont have any problems because Gary will sort them out, till they are perfect.
Much better than 99% of shonky old rod builders that have problems, and your blank choice is spot on for what you need...... some people just put a smilie emoji so they can have their two penneth worth.
They are absolute dickheads :)

Last edited:
Hope you're not referring to me Pete.Ian took the comment as it was intended,tongue in cheek.
Yes mate, i knew your comment was "tongue in cheek".

Ian.

Back