• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod fettling...

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Commandeered the Kitchen yesterday and got on with a project that I'd shelved for a while. Broke out my expanding Rig making Jig (which doubles as a Rod support) that I created last year, and got to work. Pleased with what I achieved but it needs a drop of Acrylic paint.

Vertix repair 1.jpg

Commandeered the Kitchen yesterday and got on with a project that I'd shelved for a while. Broke out my expanding Rig making Jig (which doubles as a Rod support) that I created last year, and got to work. Pleased with what I achieved but it needs a drop of Acrylic paint.

View attachment 21558
I love the extending idea of your set up and it has inspired me to have a go. Do you use an electric turner on the end? I've bought a microwave motor and suchlike a while ago and fancy trying something like this myself. Good idea buddy.??

Nice toaster. Same as mine but black lol.
The rig jig/rod support look nice and tidy.
Thanks J R ! It's not had a lot of use but I was quite pleased with it. There was a woodworking thread going just before I finished it, but I never got around to posting about it.

Pray tell WTF is rod "fettling"
Haha! I offer my humble apologies Stan, but I've eventually got around to repairing that rod that I DM'd you about. I have to confess to being a naughty boy after a lot of deliberation, and going against your advice - I decided to try repairing it with a short length of Carbon tube & Epoxy as mentioned, knowing that if it didn't work, I could still go back to the other plan of shortening it and adding a new tip ring. It actually turned out very well, but only finished it today, so won't know if it is effective or not until it's had a few casts with a 4oz Lead. Since the photo, it's had a couple of coats of White Acrylic over the Carbon.

Vertix repair 3.jpg

I love the extending idea of your set up and it has inspired me to have a go. Do you use an electric turner on the end? I've bought a microwave motor and suchlike a while ago and fancy trying something like this myself. Good idea buddy.??
No. Geoff, I haven't got as far as a rod turning mechanism yet. The jig was built primarily for tying rigs, but it became a rod support simply by drilling a couple of holes and buying a kit of 4 cheap supports from eBay. it extends from approx 1 metre to nearly 2 metres. I have got a slow speed motor somewhere (in France I fear), and a scrap Microwave here, but the thing that is confusing me the most is a cheap solution to some sort of chuck to cater for various rod diameters.

I've got an old 12ft beachcaster that my Father gave me 45 years ago, and in the back of my mind is a desire to re-ring & restore it.

The rig was built from a 1 metre 30mm x 125mm plank that I split into 3 with an old Bandsaw. A few pieces of 5mm ply 125mm x 40mm made the cross pieces, and the locking screw was a bit of a brain teaser! Shout if I can help with any more info! I think I've got some more photos somewhere if interested. ??

EDIT:
I'll put a few Pics up anyway, in case anybody is interested! ??

IMG_20210312_183517.jpg

IMG_20210327_170927.jpg

IMG_20210327_170955.jpg

IMG_20210327_171416.jpg

IMG_20210327_171508.jpg

No. Geoff, I haven't got as far as a rod turning mechanism yet. The jig was built primarily for tying rigs, but it became a rod support simply by drilling a couple of holes and buying a kit of 4 cheap supports from eBay. it extends from approx 1 metre to nearly 2 metres. I have got a slow speed motor somewhere (in France I fear), and a scrap Microwave here, but the thing that is confusing me the most is a cheap solution to some sort of chuck to cater for various rod diameters.

I've got an old 12ft beachcaster that my Father gave me 45 years ago, and in the back of my mind is a desire to re-ring & restore it.

The rig was built from a 1 metre 30mm x 125mm plank that I split into 3 with an old Bandsaw. A few pieces of 5mm ply 125mm x 40mm made the cross pieces, and the locking screw was a bit of a brain teaser! Shout if I can help with any more info! I think I've got some more photos somewhere if interested. ??

EDIT:

View attachment 21593

View attachment 21594

View attachment 21595

View attachment 21596

View attachment 21597
Price of wood these days probably cheaper to buy the ali and plastic jig?
And you go careful in her Kitchen or will be out on rear! you know your not allowed to make any mess in there!

Haha! I offer my humble apologies Stan, but I've eventually got around to repairing that rod that I DM'd you about. I have to confess to being a naughty boy after a lot of deliberation, and going against your advice - I decided to try repairing it with a short length of Carbon tube & Epoxy as mentioned, knowing that if it didn't work, I could still go back to the other plan of shortening it and adding a new tip ring. It actually turned out very well, but only finished it today, so won't know if it is effective or not until it's had a few casts with a 4oz Lead. Since the photo, it's had a couple of coats of White Acrylic over the Carbon.

View attachment 21592

One can but try.

EDIT:

View attachment 21593

View attachment 21594

View attachment 21595

View attachment 21596

View attachment 21597

Just a thought buddy but previously I had thought of utilising different size butt caps to turn the different sections? Very easy to fit a rubber butt cap onto a spindle of the motor? I appreciate your efforts and will also let you know how I get on. Regards Geoff.?

Price of wood these days probably cheaper to buy the ali and plastic jig?
And you go careful in her Kitchen or will be out on rear! you know your not allowed to make any mess in there!
She thinks she wears the Troosers, but mine wouldn't fit her! ????

Is that the Grauvell you're working on.
Yep, not my original Vertix Jack, but John's Vertix Volcan. He tripped on shingle and snapped the tip, so kindly donated it to me. Had to be worth a try at repairing it. If my trick with the Carbon Fibre tube doesn't work, I can go back to plan A, shorten it & replace the tip ring. Nothing ventured. nothing gained.

Just a thought buddy but previously I had thought of utilising different size butt caps to turn the different sections? Very easy to fit a rubber butt cap onto a spindle of the motor? I appreciate your efforts and will also let you know how I get on. Regards Geoff.?
Good idea Geoff, but not sure how that would translate to turn the middle/top sections of a 3 piece rod. There are some chucks about but not cheap. When my ageing Grey cells (sawdust) come up with a solution, I will update! I could easily make one if only I had a 3D printer & access to the CAD Software for it! ??

Would her knickers fit you.??
I'm not sure! You may laugh but I reached in my undies drawer after a bath last week & felt something lacy - she'd accidentally put a pair of hers in with mine. Being the Gentleman, I left them on the bed to be returned to their correct storage location! ??

I'm not sure! You may laugh but I reached in my undies drawer after a bath last week & felt something lacy - she'd accidentally put a pair of hers in with mine. Being the Gentleman, I left them on the bed to be returned to their correct storage location! ??
You weren't tempted to try them were you.?

Back