• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Rod fettling...

Good idea Geoff, but not sure how that would translate to turn the middle/top sections of a 3 piece rod. There are some chucks about but not cheap. When my ageing Grey cells (sawdust) come up with a solution, I will update! I could easily make one if only I had a 3D printer & access to the CAD Software for it! ??
Honestly buddy there are loads of butt caps and such that fit tip sections, I've got what I need for my rods anyways, they are dead easy to fit to the motor. I'll drop you a line when I have got my own rig sorted.?

Honestly buddy there are loads of butt caps and such that fit tip sections, I've got what I need for my rods anyways, they are dead easy to fit to the motor. I'll drop you a line when I have got my own rig sorted.?
Nice one - I'd appreciate that Geoff! ??

Nice rig making jig and good to double up for rod repairs as well. An organised work station is essential - especially equiped with Toaster and coffee machine (y)

Just a thought buddy but previously I had thought of utilising different size butt caps to turn the different sections? Very easy to fit a rubber butt cap onto a spindle of the motor? I appreciate your efforts and will also let you know how I get on. Regards Geoff.?

I have about a half dozen rod turners, I keep them all seperate so I can dry different sections at different lengths at the same time. Below is the way I fasten different sized rod diameters into just the one sized turner, they are alll very similar.

They are a bit heath robinson, but have worked for the last 30 years or more ,and must have “ turned “ hundreds of rods from light fly rods to 50 lb class boat rods, cane carp rods, Zippies , Connies and just about every other variation.

62B599F3-9D51-4FEB-8840-1289539E1418.jpeg9B6745E8-3FD7-48DA-A2C5-426933A68F93.jpeg

image.jpg

Dave

She said you can do whatever you like!.............................As long as she say's so/Let's you!:oops:
:eek: Wonder if Jeepy has a Night Heater?
Yep, as long as the engine is running. ??

What's the Difference between a Vibrator and a Man? Vibrator Can't Mow Grass!
So Remember be nice to wife @Trampster or can be exchanged for 7" of plastic and two Batteries!:eek:
I struggle to mow grass too with my breathing issues, and WIfey won't be using one of them - at the wrong side of 60 and she had a Hysterectomy years ago so it's as dry as a chip and probably near healed over.

I have about a half dozen rod turners, I keep them all seperate so I can dry different sections at different lengths at the same time. Below is the way I fasten different sized rod diameters into just the one sized turner, they are alll very similar.

They are a bit heath robinson, but have worked for the last 30 years or more ,and must have “ turned “ hundreds of rods from light fly rods to 50 lb class boat rods, cane carp rods, Zippies , Connies and just about every other variation.

View attachment 21630View attachment 21631

View attachment 21632

Dave
Thanks Dave - more food for thought. (y)(y)

I struggle to mow grass too with my breathing issues, and WIfey won't be using one of them - at the wrong side of 60 and she had a Hysterectomy years ago so it's as dry as a chip and probably near healed over.
You paint a wonderful picture Trampster ?

Get the Rocket Fuel out. ;)

Ian.

I thought this thread was about rod fettling? And here we are discussing vaginal lubricants??Don't you just love it when a thread "meanders"???

Yep, not my original Vertix Jack,
Have you seen the Grauvell Vertix Monaco they have on auction.Might appeal to your budget.They should go cheap.Obviously not to same spec as the Jack but worth a punt.

Or this.Same as the Volcan you're working on.

Last edited:
Have you seen the Grauvell Vertix Monaco they have on auction.Might appeal to your budget.They should go cheap.Obviously not to same spec as the Jack but worth a punt.

Or this.Same as the Volcan you're working on.
The ones on offer at Home-un-leisure are all 14ft, as is the Volcan you linked to. I'm only interested in a 15ft to match the Jack, and the Volcan I've repaired is 15ft. It's all finished & OK, but only time will tell when I start chucking a 4oz lead out how good the Carbon tube is!

The Monaco is a bit better in quality than the Volcan, but the Jack was £300 RRP.

Have you seen the Vertix rods that daveys-fishing-tackle have got on his site? £453, and that's his clearance price! Some of his stuff is priced way over the top - think he's a fan of them Magic Mushrooms!

Last edited:
Back