• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review Rod holdall

Full length or quiver style?
Personally I've gone over to rod wraps.
Just bundle everything together. Job done, fraction of the weight.
But I'm not too precious about scratching the rods!

Full length or quiver style?
Personally I've gone over to rod wraps.
Just bundle everything together. Job done, fraction of the weight.
But I'm not too precious about scratching the rods!

Rod wraps are a bit posh,

Reusable Cable Ties, pack of 40 is £4 from B & M, hundreds of uses including bundling rods

Yeah thought about that but gone over to FS and want to leave reels on if possible
Ah - no good for Reels on, but I've got one of these and love it. I've got the Salt tripod too and the bag comes with the pouch & straps to attach the tripod. Full length zip and the ability to adjust it for longer rods. I always remove my reels, which have their own cases, and rinse them under the tap when I get home.

Look at some of the fresh water rod holdalls,they seem to do holdalls for rods with reels attached.

Hi I purchased the Daiwa semi rigid surf holdall from nootica during lockdown. It has 3 separate compartments so can can carry 3 rods with reels attached. The problem with carp rod holdalls is the raised piece for the reels is in the wrong place. It is pricey at around sixty quid but does the job HOWEVER it is only available in fairly short lengths so you need to measure your rods carefully & it is only suitable for 3 piece rods, my 14ft contis fit in nicely but don’t think 15ft will. I have recently been using some older 2 piece rods which end up sticking out the top which obviously defeats the object A bit. I think it has a shoulder strap but would have to check I usually carry mine by the handles as carry a large rucksack & shelter on my back with the kitchen sink in. Have often wondered if I took 2 rods on a short session you could squeeze enough tackle in the spare compartment? Finally although it says it is semi rigid it is foldable until you add rods etc. apologies for the essay & hope this helps & ps check postage as they are outside of uk

check out the rod bags/sleeves from midwater luggage they are as light as they come and quite robust.
There are two things to consider here gs weight is one thing and ease of carrying equally important if your doing a walk.
Personally I use a century rod bag, midwater rod sleeves/bags.
For weight saving i change shelters and tripods, the lightest shelter is the old beach buddy convertable and a parker rod rest is much lighter than a golds so summer months its easier to save weight on other things and not scar your rods too badly.
Winter I go with all the heavy gear.

Milwaukee 5 piece spirit level set.
I dropped my 6' level and broke the bubble so bought the above from Toolstation.

They come in a padded, quiver type bag big enough for two rods without reels.

I've not used it so I don't know if it'll work but at about the same price as a purpose built rod quiver, with 5 free spirit levels, if it does, bingo.
If it doesn't I'll continue with rod slips and insulating tape as I have for the past 30 years or so.

check out the rod bags/sleeves from midwater luggage they are as light as they come and quite robust.
There are two things to consider here gs weight is one thing and ease of carrying equally important if your doing a walk.
Personally I use a century rod bag, midwater rod sleeves/bags.
For weight saving i change shelters and tripods, the lightest shelter is the old beach buddy convertable and a parker rod rest is much lighter than a golds so summer months its easier to save weight on other things and not scar your rods too badly.
Winter I go with all the heavy gear.
Midwater luggage are brilliant Pete - they've made me a couple of custom rod bags for under £15, and I've also got one of their seat box cushions and a tripod net. ??

Whats one of those ?
We are a bit more civilised in the South mate.
Although we understand that real men wearing skirts generally sip warm irn-bru through a sporran whilst waving their blue painted arses at all and sundry!
In the South we do appreciate a nice cappacino latte or Mocha whist angling.
This means its essential to be able to grind fresh coffee whilst on the beach.

For 'civilised' read 'tarty' :D
I've tried rod bags, quivers and holdalls but they are a pain to store when empty as I often wade out with 2 rods, tripod and all. The foam covered twisty ties work well and I make reel protectors out of bubblewrap and tape - super cheap and easily replaced

Last edited:
Back