• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ron Thompson bait casting reel

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi I have only just joined the forum and have a question about teaming a reel I bought nearly 15 years back and never ever used ... well it looked nice and I thought I would use it?

Anyway as I do not have all my gear down here in France and I ai'nt driving all the way back to get it if it is still there we have let out the property and some thieving bastad may have made off with it... don't ask why I never brought it all down:mad:!

I was wondering what would be the best size of rod to team it up with the reel in question is exactly the same as this one below

I was wondering if I could use it to fish bait for other fish species while I am spinning for Sea Bass. I was thinking tossing out say a 50g lead and some bait and spinning at the same time? Indeed is it possible to spin with this reel type? Be a shame not to find a use for it.

The biggest problem you will have is over-run and tangles if your lure or weight doesn't have enough force to drag line off the reel and move the level wind fast enough. You could always apply a little bit of pressure on the spool by adjustment but then you will have the problem of not being able to cast far enough. A 50g weight with bait and rig would probably be okay but you might struggle with light lures or spinners.
A smaller bait caster without level wind or even a small fixed spool would probably be much better for spinning and can be bought for very reasonable money nowadays.

The reel in question would be well matched with a 4 to 6 oz beach caster and a 4 or 5oz (125 to 150g) weight.

The biggest problem you will have is over-run and tangles if your lure or weight doesn't have enough force to drag line off the reel and move the level wind fast enough. You could always apply a little bit of pressure on the spool by adjustment but then you will have the problem of not being able to cast far enough. A 50g weight with bait and rig would probably be okay but you might struggle with light lures or spinners.
A smaller bait caster without level wind or even a small fixed spool would probably be much better for spinning and can be bought for very reasonable money nowadays.

The reel in question would be well matched with a 4 to 6 oz beach caster and a 4 or 5oz (125 to 150g) weight.
Thanks for the advice. I thought I could use it to cast a bit of bait while I was fishing with a spinning rod... sort of doubling my chances for catching something. I have been looking at fishing around St Jean Du Luz where the ground looks good sort of rocky inshore and a sandy area just a bit further out . Of course that is on google earth but there are one or two vids on youtube made by a guy who fishes around there and it looks OK . Thing is it looks accessible which is good too it is about an hour and a half from where I stay so not too far.

I think one of the main points of lure fishing is mobility. If you start taking other rods etc you lose a lot of that advantage. Also if you are stopping to rebait or put a new rig on or whatever you are not using your lure rod. the times I have done it when I was younger I would wander 50 yards away, have to go back and get the other rod cast out again, wander off and repeat. It's even worse at night. Far better to concentrate on the lure rod only and give it 100% attention

Hi I have only just joined the forum and have a question about teaming a reel I bought nearly 15 years back and never ever used ... well it looked nice and I thought I would use it?

Anyway as I do not have all my gear down here in France and I ai'nt driving all the way back to get it if it is still there we have let out the property and some thieving bastad may have made off with it... don't ask why I never brought it all down:mad:!

I was wondering what would be the best size of rod to team it up with the reel in question is exactly the same as this one below

I was wondering if I could use it to fish bait for other fish species while I am spinning for Sea Bass. I was thinking tossing out say a 50g lead and some bait and spinning at the same time? Indeed is it possible to spin with this reel type? Be a shame not to find a use for it.
Nice looking reel. Not saying I'm right but I was always told a multiplier with level wind is no good for casting or shore use. The level wind mechanism slows the spool down and can cause birds nests. Best suited for boat use.

Last edited:
Nice looking reel. Not saying I'm right but I was always told a multiplier with level wind is no good for casting or shore use. The level wind mechanism slows the spool down and can cause birds nests. Best suited for boat use.
You're right in what you say about a level wind slowing the spool down as the gearing is linked to the spool rotation, and the extra drag reduces distance cast, but the slowing of the spool can often reduce birds nests, just because of the slower rotation.

There were a fair few beach casting multipliers made with level wind, including the famous old Abu 6500 but lots of anglers used to convert them by removing the level wind mechanism. (Some done very badly, with a little hacksaw)

Depends how far you want to cast really. I could use one for most of my fishing if I had to. I wouldn't buy one though

You're right in what you say about a level wind slowing the spool down as the gearing is linked to the spool rotation, and the extra drag reduces distance cast, but the slowing of the spool can often reduce birds nests, just because of the slower rotation.

There were a fair few beach casting multipliers made with level wind, including the famous old Abu 6500 but lots of anglers used to convert them by removing the level wind mechanism. (Some done very badly, with a little hacksaw)
Some years ago now, I ventured into a Dorset tackle shop thnking about buying a new(cheapish) 12ft beachcaster. The guy said that I would be silly buying just the rod, as for an extra £10 or so, I could get the rod & reel as a matching combo, so that was what I did. Still got both - the reel was a medium sized multiplier with level wind. Got laughed at by my (older & better) fishing mates when I turned up on the beach with it! I've still got the reel tucked away in case I need it for boat use, but have been using fixed spool ever since for shore.

Some years ago now, I ventured into a Dorset tackle shop thnking about buying a new(cheapish) 12ft beachcaster. The guy said that I would be silly buying just the rod, as for an extra £10 or so, I could get the rod & reel as a matching combo, so that was what I did. Still got both - the reel was a medium sized multiplier with level wind. Got laughed at by my (older & better) fishing mates when I turned up on the beach with it! I've still got the reel tucked away in case I need it for boat use, but have been using fixed spool ever since for shore.
If it is a beach casting multiplier it all depends upon which one it is as to whether it will be suitable for boat fishing, as some have nylon gearing which would probably strip very quickly if you started trying to winch up heavy gear and weights or a decent fish from depth.

On the beach, if used correctly, with draw and wind on retrieve, it will probably be a perfectly serviceable reel. I used a couple for years, although I don't use them now, as there are much better multipliers for casting out there on the market now.

I have always been told that when you are casting a bait the second wave is the one you just want to get past sometimes that is only 30 or 40 meters. I do take the point about sticking to one method at a time. What I can do is try to use my spinning rod to double up as a bait casting rod It will cast up to 50g ? I have been watching some videos of guys fishing down at St Jean Du Luz and one fish they are going after is sea bream they do not cast far for them and they are catching some nice fish. Here is a link to the one f the vids I was watching this little corner of the bay of Biscay seems to be quite productive with a variation of species.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZ2YyRTdCk

Back