• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sea fishing rod and rig advice needed!

seafarer

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Hey folks

New member here and I'd greatly appreciate your sage advice, please.

I'm spending some time on the Med Sea later this year (predominantly Greece) and have been considering taking a rod with me (fishing regs permitting).
I haven't done any fishing since I was a kid (~30 years) and don't have much of a clue where to start in terms of rods and rigs on the market today, so hoping to get some suggestions.

What I do know is that I will mostly be fishing from a boat either underway or at anchor, so I'd need a setup that is suitable for both jigging and bait fishing, if such a thing exsists. Realistic target fish would be the various species of bream and snapper etc but I happen to know there are larger fish like mahi-mahi, tuna, dentex and various bill fish in the area too (saw these myself in 2021).
The rod itself wold need to be fairly lightweight and transportable so I can get in my luggage and stow it somewhere on the boat when not in use.
Budget for the whole rig is £150-£250.

So far research has led me to the Shimano STC range (Shimano Travel Concept) range as I understand these are designed with the traveling angler in mind.

What rod, reel and setup would you suggest given my requirements and budget?

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If it was me,I would ask a few tackle shops ,and get s few different prices, look at Glasgow angling they do some good deals on rod & reel set ups,

Back