• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sea sickness

Minstrelblue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Needing some advice on this as I've been given a present off my daughter for a wrecking trip . Problem is I gave up boat dangling years ago due to repeated sea sickness ruining my days but I'd love to have a go again and wonder if there's anything I can do to reduce the nausea.

Needing some advice on this as I've been given a present off my daughter for a wrecking trip . Problem is I gave up boat dangling years ago due to repeated sea sickness ruining my days but I'd love to have a go again and wonder if there's anything I can do to reduce the nausea.

sit under a tree

Not something I've ever suffered with Minstrel, I guess due to spending a lot of time with my mate in his 16ft boat 45 years ago. We were often out and it blew up rough, and I got used to it. There only thing that will make me chuck up, on a boat or otherwise, is someone else throwing up.
Good luck with the trip Minstrel!

I suffer as well so always get travel pills. Make sure you don’t have a greasy fry up breakfast and pay attention to what and how much you eat while afloat. Ginger biscuits are supposed to help. I’m usually ok up to about five hours, have never actually been sick but just feel awful. How long is the trip?

Don't look at the boat, look at the land, if visible, or the horizon. Sitting head in hands because you feel queasy is the worst thing to do.

Also eat plenty of raspberry jam before setting off, it won't stop you being sick but it will taste that much better if you are.

Don't drink any fizzy drinks, stay away from the diesel exhaust. Go to health food shop and get a bag of crystallised ginger to suck on instead of sweets. Take a travel sickness pill about 2hrs ahead of going out so it has time to get into your system. If taking a flask fill it with hot chocolate, it's the only thing that tastes the same on the way back up should you barf.

I found Stugeron (think that’s the spelling?) tablets the best. Its active ingredient is cinnarizine which is used to treat vertigo and inner ear problems (which is what seasickness is).
Make sure you take two, two hours before the trip though and take some with you.
The tablets do make some people drowsy but they don’t affect me.

Otherwise as said, try and look at a fixed point on the horizon if you start to feel queasy. Too much looking down will make it worse.

Does anyone suffer from acid reflux or any stomach conditions on here and has overcome seasickness?
I've got acid reflux and have to take a tablet every morning to help with it aswell as a restricted diet. Since being diagnosed about 2 years ago, I randomly get sea sick, never used to until I got diagnosed. It's never on the way out to the first mark (2 miles or 25 miles, all the same to me) it's usually when we first stop (anchored or drift) or on the way home, I've tried all the foods and tricks, not tried tablets yet though. I have no idea why, I've even had days where there no trouble at all and the next day I get sea sick halfway through the day. Been in 6ft+ swells and no trouble, yet had a gently swell rolling around all day and spent the whole day on the engine cover.

I have found my personal coping mechanism is the opposite to what alot of people advise though.... I lay inside the wheelhouse either on the floor or on the benches, close my eyes and have a nap. I still feel crap when I stand outside but laying down I feel fine. I'm wondering if it's my stomach acid playing havoc and not normal seasickness? Also, drinks help me, anything like pop or water, but I struggle with food. I think the worst thing is, I'm never actually sick, I just feel really really sick, I've always wondered if being sick might help make me feel better?

Sorry for the long post and thread hijack minstrel, but you made me think about asking as no one I fish with gets seasick apart from myself.

Kwells are brilliant but don't use them if you have problems with gastric reflux.

As Fishy said above, Stugeron are also very good too.

Seasickness tablets are much better than they used to be just a few years ago and if you follow the instructions about when and how to take, they are nearly failsafe.

I tried Stugeron many years back. taking 2 a few hours before the trip just about worked, but made me drowsy. Not a great experience

I then tried Kwells and they have been a revelation (for me). They have a different active ingredient to Stugeron, you take them 30 mins before boarding, they work (to the point where seasoned sailors have been hurling around me in rough conditions but I’ve been fine) and they don’t make me drowsy.

I given them to friends who suffer with sea-sickness when they’ve been on my boat and they seem to work well for them too. Definitely worth a try (y)

Does anyone suffer from acid reflux or any stomach conditions on here and has overcome seasickness?
I've got acid reflux and have to take a tablet every morning to help with it aswell as a restricted diet. Since being diagnosed about 2 years ago, I randomly get sea sick, never used to until I got diagnosed. It's never on the way out to the first mark (2 miles or 25 miles, all the same to me) it's usually when we first stop (anchored or drift) or on the way home, I've tried all the foods and tricks, not tried tablets yet though. I have no idea why, I've even had days where there no trouble at all and the next day I get sea sick halfway through the day. Been in 6ft+ swells and no trouble, yet had a gently swell rolling around all day and spent the whole day on the engine cover.

I have found my personal coping mechanism is the opposite to what alot of people advise though.... I lay inside the wheelhouse either on the floor or on the benches, close my eyes and have a nap. I still feel crap when I stand outside but laying down I feel fine. I'm wondering if it's my stomach acid playing havoc and not normal seasickness? Also, drinks help me, anything like pop or water, but I struggle with food. I think the worst thing is, I'm never actually sick, I just feel really really sick, I've always wondered if being sick might help make me feel better?

Sorry for the long post and thread hijack minstrel, but you made me think about asking as no one I fish with gets seasick apart from myself.
Stugeron! My mate takes daily medication for acid reflux and uses Stugeron without any problems at all. He hasn't felt bad once since he started using it. Avoid Kwells though as they can't be taken if you are using acid reflux meds.

always start the stugeron the night before, and top up in the morning with another 2
best dropping em about teatime, then if you feel drowsy, jut fuck off to bed( and dont forget to set your alarm lol )

then a dry breakfast ( toast etc n a cup of tea, as opposed to coffee n oranjuice shit)

then do another 2 a few hrs before setting sail

im a commercially endorsed skipper ( 60mile limit) and ive spewed my ring on more than a few occasions, normally up on the bow away from the party of anglers on the deck of me old charter boat :)

normally bought on by the 4am finish drinking and 7am on the boat bollox

ps, if i am gunna spew, and not due to the above, its on those glassy calm days with a big rolling swell you hardly see, but feel!!

if its lumpy as fook, thats not an issue

did my skippers ticket on a passage from essex to hartlepool, ( 3 days) with a good 4-5 northeastley all the way, twatting the boat beam on all the way, was not the most pleasurable experience :), but hey ho, it led me to become commercially endorsed charter skip :)

I tried Stugeron many years back. taking 2 a few hours before the trip just about worked, but made me drowsy. Not a great experience

I then tried Kwells and they have been a revelation (for me). They have a different active ingredient to Stugeron, you take them 30 mins before boarding, they work (to the point where seasoned sailors have been hurling around me in rough conditions but I’ve been fine) and they don’t make me drowsy.

I given them to friends who suffer with sea-sickness when they’ve been on my boat and they seem to work well for them too. Definitely worth a try (y)
They don’t make me drowsy at all, but everyone is different I guess

My tuppence worth:

Do not go into cabin or below. Do not look down at deck or sort gear looking down. Look at horizon - stand and move with boat. Eat & drink water (no acidy stuff). Sea sickness is caused by balance of inner ear.

Phenergan 10mg works well but does cause drowsiness but less so if drink water.

Never been sick but have felt rough,don't try untangling a string of sabiki caught fish or messing with bleddy braid! Focus on the horizon or land! On a hot day drink plenty of water or other soft drinks! Unless I am out all day I don't eat,if in doubt start smoking and drinking loads of coffee and redbull!

In addition to the above.
No booze the night before or afloat.
A good night's sleep is essential.
A light breakfast.
Drink plenty of water.
Embrace the day, the more attention you pay to the fishing and all that entails leaves no time to even think about sea sickness.

Back