• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Searching for the perfect sole!

squidword

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
For the last couple of weeks I've been putting many hours and miles into chasing these often elusive fish. Normally I'd be concentrating on chesil, but thought I'd have a change and spend my time in the bristol channel. From Portishead to Minehead, from sand to rock, I've tried spots that most wouldnt contemplate fishing. On the whole the fishing has been very consistent, with only odd sessions where no sole were caught. In between the sole plenty of bass caught, more thornbacks than I'd like, plus Small eyes, straps and the first codling. Most sessions producing a sole or two, with the most numbers wise, four sole, in a four hours fishing Clevedon way. The stamp of fish has been excellent with plenty of 1lb8oz + fish. Fishing very basic rigs but heavy tackle has allowed me to fish into the rougher areas where the biggest sole tend to hide near by. So far the best fish going 2lb7oz, 2lb10oz, 3lb and 3lb1oz, plus lots of 1lb8oz to 1lb15oz fish. Screenshot_20211018_094652.jpgScreenshot_20211018_094224_com.huawei.hidisk.jpgScreenshot_20211018_094359_com.huawei.hidisk.jpgScreenshot_20211018_094440_com.huawei.hidisk.jpg

Wow, nice one Squiddy!

Some amazing some there. I haven’t really been able to try much this autumn.

Are they still about or is that more or less it now?

For the last couple of weeks I've been putting many hours and miles into chasing these often elusive fish. Normally I'd be concentrating on chesil, but thought I'd have a change and spend my time in the bristol channel. From Portishead to Minehead, from sand to rock, I've tried spots that most wouldnt contemplate fishing. On the whole the fishing has been very consistent, with only odd sessions where no sole were caught. In between the sole plenty of bass caught, more thornbacks than I'd like, plus Small eyes, straps and the first codling. Most sessions producing a sole or two, with the most numbers wise, four sole, in a four hours fishing Clevedon way. The stamp of fish has been excellent with plenty of 1lb8oz + fish. Fishing very basic rigs but heavy tackle has allowed me to fish into the rougher areas where the biggest sole tend to hide near by. So far the best fish going 2lb7oz, 2lb10oz, 3lb and 3lb1oz, plus lots of 1lb8oz to 1lb15oz fish. View attachment 16669View attachment 16670View attachment 16671View attachment 16672
They are cracking fish mate. Well done, great effort ? ?

Great report Squiddy - fantastic bunch of Sole & great photos mate! Bleddy well done! ??

Back