• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Setting up reel position for reel up.

Tournamag

Reaction score
London with "Night Mayor for London Kaiser Khan"
Hi whats the correct distance from butt end to reel for each person ie where do you place butt to place hand on reel?
Someone said butt in arm pit hand on reel! Tried that then nearly lost lot over the side as went to cast picked rod up right hand on reel left hand in fresh air!
Then retried it once had rod back in hands! Well pulling with left hand had it in my face! So needless to say soon changed that!
When your 2 1/2 feet across shoulders but not massively long arms like can stand up and palm plant on floor! need a tad more length.

I'm not sure there's a 'right' answer to this if I'm honest, it's a case of what works for you and the rod/reel in question.

I've always been told the same as you, and to some extent, it's worked for me.
But I do play around with reel position as I have used a couple of different rods. None of them use the same reel position as they are not the same as each other, but all around the armpit to hand length, give or take a few inches each way.
I've also found a few inches difference up or down the rod can make a huge difference in how the rod feels and the distance I can achieve,

I think there's too many variables for there to be a set answer, such as reel weight, how the rod balances, your build, etc....

Out of curiosity, what is the rod and reel in question?

Rod butt in armpit upper hand wrapped around rod works for me then jam the reel seat in position with tape and test cast. Usually found that lighter weights worked better with slightly shorter distance. Advice used to be to take the rod and swoosh it around and where you get the maximum amount of swoosh that's where the reel seat goes. OK back in the glass fibre days but you can break carbon fibre blanks that way.
Other way is to fish reel down then your top hand will quite naturally find the right place.

I'm not sure there's a 'right' answer to this if I'm honest, it's a case of what works for you and the rod/reel in question.

I've always been told the same as you, and to some extent, it's worked for me.
But I do play around with reel position as I have used a couple of different rods. None of them use the same reel position as they are not the same as each other, but all around the armpit to hand length, give or take a few inches each way.
I've also found a few inches difference up or down the rod can make a huge difference in how the rod feels and the distance I can achieve,

I think there's too many variables for there to be a set answer, such as reel weight, how the rod balances, your build, etc....

Out of curiosity, what is the rod and reel in question?
Also height comes into question and arm length etc.

Back