• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Shock leader/rig line recommendations

If you work on diameter seadra do a tapered leader .40-.80 so roughly 20lb- 80. Always use them on the south coast and as long as you check for wear around the knot never had one fail on me. Different story up the channel 80lb leader.
Chuck some 20lb line on and give a try ?

Thanks, but I don't think it works quite like that Jonah. I think I read somewhere that an Asso 15m tapered leader has 6m of. say 70Lb, then 3m tapers to 18Lb, and the last 6m is 18Lb. Chopping off 6m would barely leave me enough for a 4.5m Conti rod between end tackle & reel. Plus it's a waste. Diameter is not so much of an issue, as not letting the leader BS go below the BS of the main line, so how would you work out where/when the BS was at/greater than 28Lb? Not all line diameters equate to the same BS.

I think I'll have to put up with a slightly bigger Knot and continue with a straight leader, of which I have plenty.
It’s why I gave up on tapered a long time ago, too much ball ache and by the time you’ve cut a bit off it’s not really fit for purpose.
The thick bit was never really long enough for the marks I used it on, rocks fishing into clean ground.
Also had them snap when they shouldn’t and the things were bloody pricey too.

All that said, if I’d fished totally clean south coast beaches it might have been a different story.
In hindsight it wasn’t the best tool for the job but seemed like a good idea at the time, lol.

Just buy any cheap spool of 60/70lb line I can get on with these days and use it for both shock and rig body.

It’s why I gave up on tapered a long time ago, too much ball ache and by the time you’ve cut a bit off it’s not really fit for purpose.
The thick bit was never really long enough for the marks I used it on, rocks fishing into clean ground.
Also had them snap when they shouldn’t and the things were bloody pricey too.

All that said, if I’d fished totally clean south coast beaches it might have been a different story.
In hindsight it wasn’t the best tool for the job but seemed like a good idea at the time, lol.

Just buy any cheap spool of 60/70lb line I can get on with these days and use it for both shock and rig body.
I've got lots of line for leaders & rig bodies from 50 to 80Lb, just wondered if a tapered leader might make the knot flow better through the Conti rod rings. Agree with you, won't bother with the tapered, back to plan A! ????

Back